• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt Modding Materials

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXCeSS

I'm getting intrested in learning how to volt mod. I've got a dead 4600 so I can practace on that, but what else do I need?

-Soldering Iron (What wattage)
-Helping hands thingy
-Xacto knife

Anything else?

Thanks
-Andrew

Styyn

15 watt iron should be fine. You're probably thinking of a grabber for the helping hands thingy, but I've found that a little preparation of your contact points is really all you need. You should only need the X-acto for cutting traces, which can also be done with any straight razor you happen to have lying around. You'll also want to pick up some .032 diameter, 60/40 rosin core solder. Also helps to have some wires to practice soldering with. Should be able to find plenty of caps and resistors on the dead 4600 to play with, though :)

OP
eXCeSS

eXCeSS

Do I need flux for anything? I do a little bit of soldering as it is now and i dont need flux, should i pick some up anyway?

sucky noob

if your modding a cpu, all you need is a magnifying glass, a pair of needle nose pliers, and some 28-gauge wire. Thats all i used when i modded my cpu.