• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage drop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omari79

Registered
Is it true that the CPU voltage drops once the system enters windows?

say a 1.3v CPU will drop to 1.25 in windows or there is no such thing?

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
Yes... if the voltage you set in the bios is 1.3v and it drops to 1.25v in windows thats vdrop. When you put the system under load and the voltage drops even more, thats vdroop.

OP
Omari79

Omari79

Registered
Yes... if the voltage you set in the bios is 1.3v and it drops to 1.25v in windows thats vdrop. When you put the system under load and the voltage drops even more, thats vdroop.

is there an average percentage drop or an estimated drop value?

And why does it happen and does it happen to the CPU only?

thanks in advance

spiritedandy

Premium Member
hi im not sure as to why or how much it drops it varies i should think ..

but in bios you have
Load -Line Calibration enable this and it will steady everything for you :)

OP
Omari79

Omari79

Registered
hi im not sure as to why or how much it drops it varies i should think ..

but in bios you have
Load -Line Calibration enable this and it will steady everything for you :)

My MB is a Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L, i downloaded the PDF manual and i check the bios options for a load-line calibration option or something that does the same job but didn't find anything

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
A lower end board may not have that option in it.

Dont worry about it. It happens on all boards. If you dont have LLC, you would just compensate by raising the vcore if needed.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Don't forget Intel explicitly says not to use LLC
????????????????? :-/

I have used LLC across 4 HEAVILY overclocked intel chips over the past two years. Thats horesheehaw. They said that, I recall seeing it. But unless its causing some sort of instability, there is no other reason not to.

OP
Omari79

Omari79

Registered
If i remember right, the max recommended CPU V for the 45mm E5xxx is 1.45v right? so should i set the V so its 1.45v in windows or during boot up?

Also i read on the box of my E5300 that it operates from 1.28v to 1.36v....now...all i need is a better cooler

vivek

dont set the V to 1.45.....the e5200 and e5300 shouldnt be given more than 1.36. the 1.45 u read is most likely for 45nm quads. u might want to look around for a pencil mod for ur mobo that reduces vdroop

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
1.35/6v is also for 45nm quads IIRC. But dont believe the hype. Plenty of people have run 45nm 24/7 at 1.45v+. Keep the temps in line and you should likely require an upgrade before it craps out on you.

gwar2288

????????????????? :-/

I have used LLC across 4 HEAVILY overclocked intel chips over the past two years. Thats horesheehaw. They said that, I recall seeing it. But unless its causing some sort of instability, there is no other reason not to.

I never said not to use it! :chair: I just reminded the OP that Intel do not like people using it is all. Even I use LCC :D