• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voltage inaccuracies between BIOS and monitoring software??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Filth Biscuit

I had a problem a while back I never got a straight answer to while overclocking my 4790K on my MSI Z97 G45 board.. I managed to get the chip to 4.8 stable for the longest time (till windows 10 but that's another issue). While I was in the process of overclocking I would change the voltages by .025 at a time or so.. what I would then notice on the monitoring software is that not only would the reported voltage be significantly higher, but also only change in .08 increments!! This became an increasing annoyance when reaching the peak of my overclock potential.

Is this normal operation, has anyone else experience such weirdness. And yes I had all automatic voltage controlling features off at the time, to the very best of my knowledge. I am about to re attempt my overclock after my system migration and want to know if this is just a symptom of a cheap mobo or what?

Completely normal to see differences. THe real answer can be found with testing using a mulitmeter and voltage read points on the board... if yours has any. But yeah, its normal to see some differences. Have you updated to the latest BIOS, Chipset, and ME drivers as well as having the latest version of whatever software you are using?

What software are you using?

Post system specs (can create a signature after a couple of posts) please and welcome!!! :)

Besides the chip and board I mentioned, a evga GS 1050 psu, and a gigabyte G1 gaming 970 (soon to be a water-cooled 1080). Everything was as up to date as it could be at the time. I DO have test points, I'll rely more on those from now on too!

yes, this is normal and a dmm will tell rather shocking tales, just wait till you see the voltages applied during boot!!!!!!!!

Back