• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voltage question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rugbyroy

I have a cheapo chieftec psu that came with my case, and an nf7-s v2 mobo. When I put my Vcore at 1.5v it's at 1.47-1.49 and in order to get it up to 1.5 I have to set it at 1.525. Is this caused by my power supply? Also my Vcore fluxuates a lot, I'm not sure why. Any suggestions? I'm looking into getting a fortron 350w psu

josi

Don't trust motherboard readings, it's always better to verify them with a digital multimeter, and you should put more attention to the +5v and +12V line stability because Vcore is derived from one of them. Chieftec are not cheap at all, they produces good PSU's, on par with Fortron.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
There are a number of things that influence core voltage- the psu is just one of them.

The voltage regulation mosfets on many motherboards do not provide the exact voltage specified by the chip makers. This is not usually a problem as long as it is close.

The atx connector is often overlooked when voltage issues are talked about and while it is more common to be an issue on 5v and 12v rails, it may be impacting your core voltage. Is it loose?

Checking the voltage at a few different points is really the way to determine if it IS a psu problem: check the reading through monitoring software (what the mobo gets), at a molex (what the psu provides) and on the voltage regulators (which can be tricky and dangerous if you slip! Indicates problems with the atx or mosfets.)

If all the readings are about the same and voltages are weak then it is a psu problem.
If the molex reads good but software(or bios) reads bad you need to check the mosfets- if they are low than you may have a loose atx connector; if they are good it is the mobo that is dropping the voltage and NOT a power supply problem.

OP
rugbyroy

rugbyroy

My 5V is reading at 5.11 and my 12V is reading 11.92. The atx cable is snug so I don't think that's it. I don't have a multimeter so I can't do that other stuff as of yet.