• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voodoo 3 3000 PCI at 200mhz EASY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Treker

Old School Senior
Hey Guys,

Would you beleive this?

All I did was take the stock sink off.. Ugg, one look and I had the urge to lap it.

The sink wasnt even on straight, in the middle, and it was lopsided, and the only thermal compound it had was a THICK glob of something that looked like industrial glue.

I got out the only tools I had available to me at the time being (10-12pm), a razor, and some harsh cleaning liquid.

I cleand down the chip after 30 mins, and gave up on the heat sink, that crud wasnt comming off with out some sand papper!.

I grabed my old p233 heat sink shined it up a bit with some cleaning solution and lots of scrubbing.

I didnt have thermal compound so I looked around the house, saw a stick of glue (Dont give me that look, I dont care if I fry the thing getting a new card shortly).

Sooo with out further ado I slaped the heat sink on with a light smear of glue, then got a insulated thin phone wire (the copper kind, from the new style phone wire) wraped it around the card easly, snuged it up, poped it in with a lil effort.

Hooked everything up, turned on the puter, put my 90mm fan infront of it, and cranked her up to 200 (Could NEVER get 200 before).

I couldnt beleive it, it is actually STABLE (well semi-stalbe, no problems yet, its almost 12pm, been running various bench marks on it since 11pm)

Just think if I can put a tec and water block on this old card, might not need that new one after all ;)

Well thought this was interesting, and yes I know I am an idoit for doing it the way I did, but I didnt really care what happend to the card, and it was fun, anddd it worked.

Well laters guys, gonna try this puppy out some more, sorry I dont have pics or anything but I dont have a digital camera, and I dont have temps because I have no way of taking them, but I can tell the heat sink is doing its job nicely, its about 1/3 bigger than the stock one, ribbed, and green.

Anyways, I'm outa here

-Trek

The V3 suffers from one major drawback. The memory and GPU must run in sync. So forget about getting it much farther, even with a peltier and water. The memory will not handle it!

Jeff Evans (Mar 17, 2001 12:06 a.m.):
The V3 suffers from one major drawback. The memory and GPU must run in sync. So forget about getting it much farther, even with a peltier and water. The memory will not handle it!

I've heard something like that, is it possible to change memory?
*Grinz*
soldering is not a problem for me, just getting the chips and bois changes that would be a pain in the arse, along with any driver changes ect..

Hey, and you gotta watch out for that red heat sink, the rest of the card was running nice, cold, and smooth, then that red heat sink burnt my finger!, shortly before that my puter had hanged in Final Reality..

Put a fan on it, no more problems, its not competely stable at 200mhz, atleast not with my heater going, turn that off and the room cools down and everthing is peachy, but I like to stay warm thank you much.

I have it at 190mhz for longitivity now, works great, though I have to admit there isnt that much of a performance bost from 166mhz to 190mhz, which is a bit dissipointing, getting around 3.22 on final reality with no sound, on a 400mhz amd k2-6 chip.

Well its really a 500mhz chip in a powerleap adapter in a cheap *** 4 year old packard bell board that had only a p233, but bus stuck at 66mhz, and mulit maxed at x6, so I take what I can get!

Though would LOVE to get my fsb faster, no jumpers for it, no softfsb for my board, yet the ICS chip can do 60,66,75,and 85mhz.. just cant get it to!

Anyways, is there any way I can get more outa this old system?

-Trek

Treker-

You can throw together a new system for dirt cheap nowadays. Even with only a few hunder bucks if your willing to buy used parts. You should consider upgrading, then you should consider joining our folding@home team :O)

Jeff Evans (Mar 17, 2001 04:11 a.m.):
Treker-

You can throw together a new system for dirt cheap nowadays. Even with only a few hunder bucks if your willing to buy used parts. You should consider upgrading, then you should consider joining our folding@home team :O)

Already on my way :)
Joined up the folding team yester day, had it running for a lil bit now, and I am saving up for a VP6 board with a couple 700E's, unless anyone cares to talk me into something else?

*edit* WHOO HOO my 100'th Post, and guess what? Its about Folding@Home and the new Computer I'm going to build, Not
to shabby! *edit*

-Trek

Back