• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voodoo 6000 spotted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP

3line

The only quad-gpu gaming graphics card ever made, back from 2001. It never made it to mass production, since 3dfx tanked.

Krogen

What a monster.

IIRC, I think I've seen videos of the 5500 running Half Life 2 pretty well... This would probably MAX IT OUT back in 1999... Over 5 years before the games release.

Now, that's called futureproofing. :) :)

Quick, someone must have a couple thousand handy and the will to benchmark and possibly manage to OC this thing.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Eh a pair of 5970 in Crossfire will probably burn more numbers in a day than that Voodoo 6000 can do in just 1 month easy. And 2x 5970 could be had for about $1400 shipped.

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
Eh a pair of 5970 in Crossfire will probably burn more numbers in a day than that Voodoo 6000 can do in just 1 month easy. And 2x 5970 could be had for about $1400 shipped.

But how awesome are 5970s? Compared to a QUAD GPU 128MB VOODOO 6000? Not very.

$SOLID$Necro

@FishDog3

Basically a collectors item. The fact that there were about 10 ever made makes it even more valuable.

Kinda pointless but it's still awesome :)

There were ALOT more them 10 made (In the hundreds..a portion of them were not full functioning development boards, even those have shown up on EBAY over the years) it was nearly ready for production before they pulled the plug on 3DFX. However there are not too many of them left that actually work..I believe there is even a registry for them somewhere out there.

The "Dodge Garage" has an awesome collection of rare 3DFX cards, in fact just about every revision and engineering sample is listed from the Voodoo 1 onward (As to whats unique about them) and has tons of pictures.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/

Voodoo5 6000 FAQ
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/v6k_faq.htm

Prototypes
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/pro_v6k.htm

Benchmarks
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/bench_v6k.htm

OFF TOPIC:

The follow up to the Voodoo5-6000 was called "Rampage" and there were only 20 of those boards made..you should read the article about it below..it has actual engineers who worked on it and the notes they took..kind of revealing since you don't often get to see the teething pains that go into hardware deveopment.

The flagship product Specter 3000 would have been a killer piece of hardware for the time frame. 2 Rampage chips in SLI mode with Sage combined with DDR ram would have had 10.2 GB/S bandwidth with a fillrate of 1600-2000Mpixels/S.

To give you a point of reference Nvidia didn't have anything matching these performance specs till some Geforce 4 models were released years later.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/rampage.htm

rampage_lab.jpg

Quote from 3dfx engineer: "This is Rampage, and that is my debug station. What you are looking at is a BGA socket and not a strange heatsink.

The socket had contact problems, so you see a C-clamp on top. The PCI ID you see is 3DFX 121Ah. The program is PCI.EXE, it is old so it did not have an entry for 3DFX ID in it. The riser was there so I could see if the card responded to AGP cycles. I woke the first one up this way and made sure we could talk to it. The card is in multimedia mode so another VGA card can be used to monitor the system. Simple first steps in debug."

rampage_bga.jpg

"The reason it looks so weird is that THOSE ARE BRING UP BOARDS!! (Note the AGP riser card for testing bus timings) It is not indicative of the final board at all."

rampage_clamp.jpg

I have spent hours at that site reading up..hope you all enjoy!

Last edited:
OP

3line

Fishy!

Item is in Mainland China, but he states to be a very proud and the only Malaysian to own blah blah...

Malaysia is kinda far from the location listed. Kinda VERY far. :shrug:
What a silly thing to say. You mean that if he were in the United States and stated he was the only Malaysian to own a 6000, that'd be fishy? :screwy:

There are Chinese in Malaysia, and there are Malaysians in China.

Headstand

I wouldn't say I am the only Texan to own a 17 core processor. I would say I am the only person in Germany with a 17 core processor. My Puerto Rican friend in Florida was the first person to get a new suspension that came out for his rig, but he stated he was the first Floridian to get it, not the first Puerto Rican. :shrug:

So no, I don't think it is silly. I think it is something to be careful about. He is probably a great seller, but you look for little things when you work in the security field.

Old Thrashbarg

Quick, someone must have a couple thousand handy and the will to benchmark and possibly manage to OC this thing.

You can find benchmarks around online, there are other people who've tested those things out. Overclocking would be a very bad idea, though, since there was a bug in many of those cards that would cause the things to die at over ~180mhz. There probably aren't too many people willing to risk killing such a rare card.

My Puerto Rican friend in Florida was the first person to get a new suspension that came out for his rig, but he stated he was the first Floridian to get it, not the first Puerto Rican.

Some people define themselves by where they live, others define themselves by where they originate. You and your friend seem to be of the former group, but a great many people fit in the latter. There is nothing unusual about a Malaysian who happens to be in China.