• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voodoo5 or Radeon 7200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCA

Hey everybody

I have an ATI Radeon 7200 (64MB SDRAM) and a Voodoo 5 5500 (64MB SDRAM) both sitting around. Does anyone have any experience with the Voodoo, and how it would compare to the ATI? Thanks for any help

Jay

Speed: The 7200 would be a bit faster. (But correct me if I'm wrong) Using 4XAA I think the voodoo would be a slight bit faster, but not sure if its even playable.

Mem: The Voodoo5500 acts like a 32MB card as each 32MB is divided between the two GPU's. The 7200 is a full 64MB. Both use sd-ram.

Drivers: 3DFX went under so unless MS decides to be nice and write drivers like they did for Aureal cards, don't count on driver updates. The 7200 on the otherhand you will still get drivers for.

Dark Illusion said:
Drivers: 3DFX went under so unless MS decides to be nice and write drivers like they did for Aureal cards, don't count on driver updates. The 7200 on the otherhand you will still get drivers for.

Thanks for the reply, but this spawns another question: I recently tried installing WinXP on a computer using the Radeon card -- I had a horrible time with it. The screen would flicker on and off, and when booting in normal mode the computer would reset itself after I entered my password. This was with the updated WinXP drivers from ATI's site. I installed the Voodoo 5 on the computer and it ran without a hitch. It didn't make any sense. Any idea how to fix this?

JCA said:

Thanks for the reply, but this spawns another question: I recently tried installing WinXP on a computer using the Radeon card -- I had a horrible time with it. The screen would flicker on and off, and when booting in normal mode the computer would reset itself after I entered my password. This was with the updated WinXP drivers from ATI's site. I installed the Voodoo 5 on the computer and it ran without a hitch. It didn't make any sense. Any idea how to fix this?

i have heard that the newest and beta drivers from www.ati.com and omegacorner.com have been greatly improved in the last month or so....the Radeon should run fine with XP...make sure you uninstall all old drivers first...

Dark Illusion said:
Speed: The 7200 would be a bit faster. (But correct me if I'm wrong) Using 4XAA I think the voodoo would be a slight bit faster, but not sure if its even playable.

Mem: The Voodoo5500 acts like a 32MB card as each 32MB is divided between the two GPU's. The 7200 is a full 64MB. Both use sd-ram.

uhhhh, actually the v5 acts as a 48 meg card, not a 32.

the radeon will eb a little faster, but if ur gonna use fsaa, the voodoo owns the radeon.

the driver situation for the voodoo cards are fine. i cnat find a game that i cant run with my card.

48MB card? Are you sure about that? Each V-100 takes 32MB each. As there is 64MB that would make it a 32MB card. Correct me if I'm wrong however. I only owned a V4500 and not a full V5.

it performs as a 48 meg card.

its not 64 because each texture is duplicated on each chip.

its not 32, because certain calculations are for each independent chip.

it ends up being equal to card with 48 megs.

Back