• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vortex Tube Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AarontheJC

Yeah, pretty cool. I had a friend who had a similar setup. Aerosol cooling...I never saw this thing in action, but he could apparently overclock his Celly500 to 1000. I didn't put much stock into that, but it was a cool idea. Compressed air...

racecar12

4r4k4w4 said:
Anybody tried this yet? A vortex tube can reach ~ -17C, and it only needs a compressed air supply. There is some explanation here http://www.artxltd.com/vortex/principle.shtml
Vortex tubes are very inefficient way of cooling. Here is a list of the reasons why.

1. Not only will the vortex tube chill the air on one side, but will relese heat out of the other side at 225+ degrees. So essentially you have a heat pump along with a cooler.

2. You need an industrial size air compressor> $2500-$5000 will get you a compressor that can handle the sustaind cfm.

3. Vortex tubes are extremely loud.

Kaese

Registered
Just to reiterate what was stated above and as a second opinion:

1. Vortex tubes ARE VERY LOUD.

2. They work very very well....we use them in reactor plant systems to freeze the liquid inside pipes (read "radioactive water"). They do it quickly and maintain the seal in 100 degree heat easily.

3. You will need a high volume air compressor.

4. You will need an exhaust for the hot air.

If you want to do all that...post pictures when you are done...I would like to see it...but not hear it...

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
I was toying with the idea a few months back but, I figured maufacturing the block to be able to withstand the air pressure wasn't within my capabilities with the tools I have avalible to me so I threw the idea out the window. Also having a compressor running, and the noise of the escaping air would be a little over the top for me.

Tecumseh

From a physics point of view VTs are neat, but they are
way too loud. I have spent some time trying to come
up with a way to "convert" them for PC cooling. Sorry
to say it's just not practical.

OP

4r4k4w4

Well, there are mufflers for the noise.
You could use the hot air for something else, like water heating and save on gas or electricity.

And the compressor needs 10, 15, 25, or 35 SCFM, soime are less than most fans out there.

But that was just an idea. It seems too expensive, compared to a watercooler + peltier.

Last edited: