• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
Due to massive throttling by my ISP I've started looking at VAN'S as a possible .... well atleast stop Gap fix.

Questions,

1. said will help at least somewhat with throttling ... true or false.

2 what people using? Nord comes up allot and I've heard of them but that's it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I have no idea how a VPN would prevent throttling from your ISP. That said, it could be ignorance that makes me have that opinion. I don't see how it would prevent your ISP from throttling as (correct me if I'm wrong) the VPN is 'after' your PC so those looking back at wherever you are connecting to doesn't go back to you. It comes 'from' a different address.

Not too sure about VANs or what it really does/doesn't do.

That said, I use PureVPN. If you decide to go with it, I have a coupon code for ya (HAMBINOOO is the code). I think I paid $30 for the first year. I use it so I can access other servers in games. For example, I play PUBG and it's really dead in the US(North America, NA, servers) but I can set my VPN to Germany and play on the Eurpeon Union (EU) servers (albeit with higher ping of course).

OP
bassnut

bassnut

Premium Member
From what I've read .... by encrypting your traffic and ip addresses they don't know where the traffic is coming from. Basically if the is is throttling high bandwidth type / websites think streaming it is supposed to help. Now in my case I'm not sure as this seems to be not a specific type of file but in general. I can't watch a simple video without buffering say 90% of the time. MSN News will take 20 sec to load.... etc. That's on a 15MBS connection. Explore net satellite service. I'm truly fed up with it.

My only other option is the new skylink satellite service. I'm hesitant as it requires buying the equipment at $650. A neighbor has ordered and I am patiently waiting to here if it's worth it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Right, but its, ISP->house->websites. With a VPN, it's ISP->house->VPN->websites. Your ISP still knows where you're going...it's the website that doesn't know where the connection is coming from. If the streaming sites are throttling you, a VPN would work. If your ISP is throttling you going to those sites, I don't think it will work.

OP
bassnut

bassnut

Premium Member
I get what you're saying my understanding of what I read throttling while not completely legal is happening to curb bandwidth usage. Since in general it is illegal to throttle all traffic most isp throttle specific types of bandwidth ie p2p, torrents, video streaming and gaming tends to be the big ones. By encryption of your data they don't know the source. That's the theory of what I've read. This could just be marketing..... IDK. You're right my is will still know I'm using x # gb of data but beyond that they can't tell where it's coming from.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
..and I get what you are saying, I'm just not sure that a VPN is the right tool for the job. From what (little) I know, that won't work as the ISP still knows the address your ending at... it doesn't matter what houses(hops) it goes through. A VPN changes the address on your house, but only on the outside. Inside, it's still the same address/IP (and destination).

I don't know if your ISP notes, say, all of Netflix/Hulu/etc servers so even if you VPN to the west coast USA or Germany, it would still throttle.

... but I'm just not sure. I'll keep an eye out on this thread! :)

OP
bassnut

bassnut

Premium Member
IDK either that's why I've asked here. I don't steam yet my service sucks. If I can get a better service I would and drop my sat TV for what little I watch. I pay about 300 a month for both.

bmwbaxter

Your isp doesnÂ’t see what you are browsing with a VPN.

It will only see you are connected to the VPN server. All the traffic is encrypted so they only see the VPN and nothing past. So if they are throttling Netflix they wonÂ’t know if you are there or browsing here.

Most places have free VPN trails so I would say OP has nothing to lose by trying one to see if his problems go away.