• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VR gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tír na nÓg

Hi folks,

Just got a PS4 pro and Sony VR for the kid, with a couple of games (Robinson and drivingclub VR): it is just amazing!!!

So, here comes the question:

I'll grab a 1080ti at launch, and I am hesitating between the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive, leaning to the HTC solution.

I've read a s...load of articles about VR, but still, can't make my mind.

I love racing games, and space dogfight. Don't give a damn about social apps (I am antisocial, lol!).

All advice welcome.

mackerel

I have the Vive and love it, as far as this first gen consumer PC VR goes. It was the first to offer room scale which is where it differentiates itself from console and early Rift. But Rift recently added extra sensors and hand controllers so they are in theory on par with Vive now. Reports are the Rift hand controllers are better, although I've not tried it myself.

If you're not doing room scale stuff, Vive might have a slight short term support advantage but long term I wouldn't worry about Rift. I hear Rift may be the more comfortable for longer use, but again I haven't used it.

Don't think you can go wrong with either. If there are specific titles you want you might swing towards that in the choice. I hope the PC VR ecosystem will be sufficiently platform agnostic going forwards so the choice wont be dictated by software support.

OP
Tír na nÓg

Tír na nÓg

I am worried I'll end up getting both...

Untill yesterday, the plan was to get first a 250cc 2 stroke CR and then the VR gear!

OP
Tír na nÓg

Tír na nÓg

ANyone?

I think first gear will be the Oculus: PJ cars; Assetto, Elite dangerous and Eve Valkyrie...

Codeman05

I've owned both and preferred the Rift. Primarily due to better fit/comfort and image quality (imo).
The room scale features of the Vive were cool, but the improved fit & IQ still made the Rift a winner to me, I primarily used it for Project Cars anyway.

That said, I no longer have either but will give it another go with the next generation of VR hardware, or once more content is available.

OP
Tír na nÓg

Tír na nÓg

I think that is where I am heading: read a bunch of good things on the move controllers, and I am mostly into Sim racing and space dogfight.