• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VRM overheat but they are cold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RozowaPantera

Registered
Hello!!
I few weeks ago i buy unlocked cpu and i decided to do some oc, but my motherboard shut down pc over 1.45v due the fact that vrm is overheat, today i changed thermal pads and nothing change.
I used laser termometr to mesure temp and result are i thing interesing
PC start drmos alarm led at 60c and at 70 mb shut down, i think its too low, some mosfets cant handle easly 130c its that normal? Can i do something to move the term limit farer or meaby lower vrm temperature?
The board is msi x79 gd65, thermal pads are arctic`s

Best regards :)

70° C is nothing to be concerned about VRM wise. Are you sure it's shutting down from VRM heat and not stability? Try resetting to stock clocks/voltages and see if it still shuts down. Check the temps then too.

70° C is nothing to be concerned about VRM wise. Are you sure it's shutting down from VRM heat and not stability? Try resetting to stock clocks/voltages and see if it still shuts down. Check the temps then too.
All temp are good cpu aroud 60c mb37/40, i check everything without psu, but its 600w so i think its enough. I thing its vrm because on my motherboard is led whose is call drmos alarm led, and always when i stress test pc its getting on before shut down.
Its so anoying. Meaby thats helps, but when i increase core voltage pc turn off faster on stress test.

I'll assume you're air cooling? 1.45v is pretty high on air. Even if water cooling you are approaching the max. It's possible that is too much.

I can't say for sure what the caused is but I would start by finding a stable setting and work from there.

Do you have a stable clock/voltage already?

Yes i am on air cooling. But on very good one, it can hanlde 220TDP Now i have 4.55ghz 1.37v, i played at 4.8 and 1.42v but in cs go sometimes pc just freez. When i go over 4.8ghz its very hard to get stable, to get stable 5.2ghz i have to put 1.6v temp at this was be around 75/80 but pc shut down just in windows desktop. But funfact when i put only 2 cores i can easly make 5.3 stable with something like 1.52/1.55

For air cooling you are pushing way to many volts. Max recommended bolts on air for a 3rd-4th gen Intel is only 1.35v. You are most likely unstable from the extreme voltage you are pushing through the VRMs.

For air cooling you are pushing way to many volts. Max recommended bolts on air for a 3rd-4th gen Intel is only 1.35v. You are most likely unstable from the extreme voltage you are pushing through the VRMs.

:rofl: I know what you meant. I agree with too many volts, also to the OP, what MB do you have?

Guys i found something interesting, on the top of my motherboard i have leds whose shows phases work, and 3 of them dont light, meaby reason of overheat is that some of them are off and others must do harded job.

I'm not sure what CPU you have, it could be a i7 Ivy Bridge-E or a i7 Sandy Bridge-E but here is 2 screen shots from the manual.

x79led1.jpg

x79led2.jpg

Guys i found something interesting, on the top of my motherboard i have leds whose shows phases work, and 3 of them dont light, meaby reason of overheat is that some of them are off and others must do harded job.

I'm not sure what CPU you have, it could be a i7 Ivy Bridge-E or a i7 Sandy Bridge-E but here is 2 screen shots from the manual.

View attachment 212958

View attachment 212957

I don't think these actually represent the VRM phases active. In fact I don't believe VRM phases ever switch off. Someone with far more knowledge than me will need to chime in on this. (@Dolk-Where are you! LOL) The terminology Gigabyte is using (CPU phase) is misleading if I am correct. I believe what those LEDs are actually displaying is the CPU C+P States. In short, a C-State is a reduced power state such as when the CPU is in hibernate or sleep mode. A P-State varies based on CPU load. P0 is 100% load and all "CPU PHASE" lights should be lit.

Thanks for the pics Whitehawk.

I dont remember this board exactly, but many boards have the option for an 'eco' mode that doesn't use all phases equally versus one that does. I dont recall a board ever displaying C-states... but could be mistaking.

According to the manual, those LEDs are to tell you which happen to be active. But what is default and where to change it in the bios so they all work equally, not sure offhand. X79 is olllld and I don't recall.

What I take from the manual is the CPU phase leds is the loading of the CPU. I have never dealt with this MB so I can't say much other that post screen shots from the manual :)

He can try loading say, SUper Pi (single thread) and then maybe WPrime (all threads) and see if the lights change?

Its lights when i boot in windows so you know, in lower voltage its start to light only when i open any program like game. I think the best way i sell that board and buy rampage or p9x79 pro meaby this boards will not have problems with overheating vrm.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

147795294_136075784951728_6641295485242073073_n.jpg

This is what i mean about phase leds

Have you addressed your over voltage issue yet? A different board will do little to help with that.

I`m not quite sure if I know what you mean, but i tried to change vcore down and up, and this is a results, without airflow i can do 1.35v on cpu after that drmos led start to light, with airflow max is 1.42.(Under stresstest) Everythink below 1.35 is easly handle by vrm, i will be sad if i cant go over that number, on that voltage i can only do 4.45ghz :( btw I looked and close to the me sb sell rampage for good pirce and i`m thinking about buy that board. But idk if that will helps, i think msi is not bad brand and they cant bo 2 times worst than asus.

Ok. Here's my recommendation. I would not overclock on air with that cpu over 1.35v if this is your daily use/gaming system. It can lead to instability and ultimately shorten the life of your CPU.

In my opinion buying a different motherboard to try and get another 2-300MHz is a waste of money on such an old system. You would be better served saving up for a new build or upgrading other components on that one if it needs it (i.e. an SSD or better GPU). Keep in mind there are no guarantees you will get any faster clocks with a different board.

Ok. Here's my recommendation. I would not overclock on air with that cpu over 1.35v if this is your daily use/gaming system. It can lead to instability and ultimately shorten the life of your CPU.

In my opinion buying a different motherboard to try and get another 2-300MHz is a waste of money on such an old system. You would be better served saving up for a new build or upgrading other components on that one if it needs it (i.e. an SSD or better GPU). Keep in mind there are no guarantees you will get any faster clocks with a different board.

Alright, i thing i agree with you, i will sell that stuff in this year or meaby in next and i will go for something newer ofcourse with unlocked multipier :) I dont know which of newest platforms is best for enthusiast oc but i will probably choose good motherboard with i5 10600k.
Do you thing its a good choise? or i should go for x299, or amd ryzen?or meaby 9gen of intel.

Depends on your needs/how you use the PC....

But AMD 5000 series and X570 is the way to go... until we see what Rocket Lake can do on Z590. ;)

Back