• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VRM temps after Turbo Boost enabled heavy OC on Asus Maximus VII Formula + 4790k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uplink777

Greetings,

I recently decided to OC my 4790k. I was happily surprised with my results, allow me "brag" about them first :3 ["stable" and stable freqs [they're all stable, but I didn't give enough time to the first two settings to prove true stability, only the last one]]:

5.0 GHz - 1.47 vcore, no fsb increase, level 8 CLLC, 140% CCC, 120°C CPTC, VRM Switching Freq. Auto, CPU PPC Extreme and AFM Off. About 72-78°C Prime95 10 minutes [I have serious water cooling] - no crash, but didn't want to fry him off for more time

4.9 GHz - 1.35-1.37vcore, no fsb increase, level 8 CLLC, 140% CCC, 120°C CPTC, VRM Switching Freq. Auto, CPU PPC Extreme and AFM Off. About 68-70°C Prime95 30 minutes - no crash also

4.8 GHz [I'm using this one] - 1.297 vcore, no fsb increase, level 8 CLLC, 140% CCC, 120°C CPTC, VRM Switching Freq. Auto, CPU PPC Extreme and AFM Off. About 60-68°C Prime 95 4 hrs - no crash of course

My first question is. W/o oc, I've had my VRMs on 28-39°C, now on 4.8 GHz OC they are, even without CPU being Turbo Boosted to 4.8 GHz on all cores 45-55°C. Are these temps okay? Any clue why they go up, even when the CPU is 0.7 vcore and 800 MHz for half an hour?

My second question is, isn't my cooling effeciency a bit low?

This is my PC, it's a bit different now, but both rads [240 monsta + 320 alphacool] are still cooling CPU only, there are two liquid pumps, running on low rpm [one runs 2.5k, one runs 3k rpm]. And most importantly, I use delid + water block, that is directly attached to cpu. Aren't my temps a bit high for such a configuration? My ambient is 22-27°C, and relative humidity is 40-55%.

Thank You!

P.S.: VRM's are aircooled, with stock cooler. The only thing that's watercooled is CPU.\

P.S.2.: vcore is being changed by adaptive offset, because I use the highest frequency as Turbo Boost and not non-Turbo Boost.

P.S.3.: In SuperPi, on 5 GHz, I'm on par with 5.1 GHz 6700k. How is that possible? SuperPi only, elsewhere I'm weaker by 2-3%.

Last edited:
45-55C is good temp for all deviced which you have (CPU, GPU, VRM etc.). If it's around 100C then you have to be worried :)

uplink777 - haha, thank You for Your answer. Well, in general I'm happy with room-temperature-ish + 5-10°C. Anyway, any clue whether my rig should perform better in cooling the cpu?

Nebulous - so it means that there's something wrong with my cooling, right?

Back