• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W/C Noob needs you to look over his setup ->

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

Dtek Spiral Aluminum top with 1/2 barbs for socket 478 55.00:
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/product.asp?0=204&1=209&3=22

Dtek Silver Radiator w/ shroud 55.00:
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/product.asp?0=205&1=228&3=19

Swiftech MCP300 Pump 49.99:
http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=SW-013

10 foot 1/2" ID ClearFLEX Tubing 1.50/foot:
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/product.asp?0=207&1=217&3=94

need advice also on what to use like water wetter/royal purple/supercool (Dtek), or something else. i will most likely be adding dye to my water so that is a consideration. curious... does royal purple stay purple or does it get so disolved it goes clear again? i'd love to have purple. since it would match my plans for my purple bubble cath's and led fans.

i am going to use a T for bleed/fill. need to know where i can find a brass 1/2 OD T fitting. probly homedepot, etc will carry those though.

forgetting anything?? any advice? better deals?

Last edited:

Luihed

Registered
Im new to watercooling too.... dont you need a 1/2" ID tube to go with your 1/2"barbs? I thought thats how it goes , I wanna make sure before I order....

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Luihed said:
Im new to watercooling too.... dont you need a 1/2" ID tube to go with your 1/2"barbs? I thought thats how it goes , I wanna make sure before I order....
fixed!

thats what i meant. just typed it wrong :)

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

someone gave me a link to this stuff which comes in purple. its got all the inhibitor and lubrication and stuff in it.

thorn

I'm suggesting this with the assumption that you're not wanting to go DIY w/ the heater core. It looks like your ordering most of your stuff from D-tek so you might as well get the hydor L30 from there instead of the MCP300 and save some $$ on shipping. But, make sure you don't need additional fittings to convert the pump to accept 1/2 ID. And, I'd get the TC-4 instead of the spiral. You'll also need hose clamps and some kind of top for your T like a short 1/2" bolt. And you can pick up a plastic T from D-tek for $0.99.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
I would drop half of that setup. I would either wait for the d-tek White Water, or grab a tc-4.
I woudl drop that pump and grab a danner mag#3

the rad looks good,

go to my site, and check out the water additives review. thatll help you decide on those:)

Jon

thorn

I got my ClearFlex60 from McMaster-Carr, too.. Great stuff! I didn't suggest buying from them since it would only have saved him a few $.

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

the reason i decided on the swifty pump is that it was highly recommended by another forum member who said it was better than the eheim 1250 and quite a bit cheaper.

everyone seems to think the TC-4 is the better block.. but why? i would think inlet right over the core would lead to better results.

thanks for the link on the tubing. if it ends up saving me a couple bucks i'll probly order from there.

found the danner mag 3 here for 43.95. is that a good price? how does it compare with the swifty and eheim?

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

on your site Jfettig you have a bottle of something called Super Coolant.. can't really read the bottle very well, but it seems that you don't discuss it in your article. is this the same stuff as Dtek's Super Cool?

Last edited:

Giblet Plus!

Maxvla said:

everyone seems to think the TC-4 is the better block.. but why? i would think inlet right over the core would lead to better results.

thanks for the link on the tubing. if it ends up saving me a couple bucks i'll probly order from there.

found the danner mag 3 here for 43.95. is that a good price? how does it compare with the swifty and eheim?

People who have used both have said the TC-4 is better. If you're not getting a WWR, I'd say get the Swiftech MCW-5000. BillA's test of it was pretty good - it's on the frontpage.

The danner is more powerful than either the swifty or the eheim. Jon found his a couple dollars cheaper somewhere, but 43.95 is a good price. You'll need barbs for it, but the local home depot has them cheap. :)

Last edited:
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

the MCW5000 has quick connect inserts that only take 3/8 OD tubing. how do you take those out and add 1/2 barbs?

lazyart

The MCW5000 and Swiftech pump will be happy together... but with it's use of 1/2" OD as opposed to ID, it means you will need adapters if you use non-Swiftech parts.

Is it worth it to save $$ on the pump and have to put adapaters on everything to connect to it?

Epox

Registered
dude, drop that Dtek Silver Radiator w/ shroud and get a heatercore from a autoparts store for like 20buxx

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

whats the difference in radiators? what makes one better than the other?

asw7576

Maxvla... so you are going to water cooling ?? me too, I ordered custom made maze waterblock from dangerden:
For P4 CPU: [ 6cm X 6cm X 2cm ] x 2 pieces
For Chipset & GPU: [ 4cm X 4cm X 2cm ] x 4 pieces
( all for 2 computer system: office & home ).

But I want to build simple and cost effective Water Cooling system: no radiators.... (don't want to spent too much on PC). So each computer will get:

Eheim 1048 + 1/2" silicone tube + 5 gallon of Sparkle drinking water bottle + alluminium custom made cross bars to mount water block.

(I just realized where should I hide the bottle for my comp. in office.... onlookers might think I'm a lunatic pc freak). :D

Socket%20Version%20Large.gif

tech_pumpe_1048.gif

Good luck buddy.... :p

FIZZ3

The DTEK rad is a heatercore. If you want a beter deal, you could get a Chevette core (identical)- it will be unpainted, and not have nice barbs soldered on, but will also be a lot cheaper. I have the DTEK core myself, without paint it's a bit cheaper and you're not missing much IMO. Make sure to get a shroud (or two) as well.

I wouldn't bother with Swiftech proprietary fittings etc. A TC-4 and Hydor pump will offer good performance for a good price. Coincidentally, a WW block and an Eheim 1250 would be even better. :D