• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W2K seeing 128GB when even BIOS see 160GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

A strange problem - I upgraded my BIOS and now it sees my 160GB Maxtors as 160GB (163GB to be precise). But in Windows 2000 they show as 128GB - I am trying to span them using dynamic disks.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

PS Could it be that the system drive is an old 6GB Quantum?

OP
petreza

petreza

And when I format the spanned disks with FAT32 it tells me that the volume is too big. I had to format it with NTFS in order for it to work.

CrazyP

its a known problem with windows. search in google for "enable LBA 48 in windows xp", problem is, to have your 160GB drive during install, I believe you need sp1 on the xp install. if so, just slipstream it, there are plenty of guides to do that on the internet also.

OP
petreza

petreza

CrazyP said:
its a known problem with windows. search in google for "enable LBA 48 in windows xp", problem is, to have your 160GB drive during install, I believe you need sp1 on the xp install. if so, just slipstream it, there are plenty of guides to do that on the internet also.

I use Windows 2000 with SP2. What is slipstream?

CrazyP

then you need sp3 I think. slipstreaming is the process of making a copy of your windows install disk on the hadrive, and once its on the hardrive, you add in all the updates to it, then your burn it on a CD, I did it with my XP disk and nero burning rom.

SpoonMaN

yeah windows 2K cant format a drive larger then 32gb in fat32
i tried to format my 40gb drive in fat32 before i found this out and it didnt work at all as it gave me the same error that it gave u
so yes u do have to use NTFS to format such a large drive

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
yep, 32Gig is limit for FAT32 partition (2 gigs for FAT16)

and I would NOT, I repeat NOT use dynamic disks. if for some reason you have a problem with your windows install and it becomes corrupted or you have to reinstall.. all data on dynamic volumes are (for the most part) lost forever. Thank you M$ for that one.

then you need sp3 I think. slipstreaming is the process of making a copy of your windows install disk on the hadrive, and once its on the hardrive, you add in all the updates to it, then your burn it on a CD, I did it with my XP disk and nero burning rom.

Whats the point? I have Win2K SP3 and it recognizes my 120 gigs and 200gigs with no problem.

PYROMANIAC

pik4chu said:
yep, 32Gig is limit for FAT32 partition (2 gigs for FAT16)

and I would NOT, I repeat NOT use dynamic disks. if for some reason you have a problem with your windows install and it becomes corrupted or you have to reinstall.. all data on dynamic volumes are (for the most part) lost forever. Thank you M$ for that one.

if 32gb is the max for fat32 then how come i have a 52gb fat32 partition? also about dynamic volumes, the data isnt lost if you have to re-install your os, just the only thing that can access the dynamic volumes are w2k/wxp