• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W7 Homegroups...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
So I just got the Mrs. a Toshiba Laptop. Im trying to share some files/folder with Homegroup. The group was setup just fine on the lappy. When I attempt to join the group with this PC, it asks for the PW, I enter it and it just sits there. Litereally for like 20 mins. There is a svchost pegged at 25% maxing out a core but nothing happens..

Any thoughts on why this is such a pain in the arse? Why wont this connect?

SeanBest

Did you change the homegroup pw to a custom one or use the default generated one? One time I changed it and no matter what couldn't connect. Created a new one and used the default password and it worked fine. Also try creating a homegroup from the other machine. For some reason creating the group on my desktop and having my girlfriends laptop connect to my homegroup worked better than the other way around.

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I used the default PW and one I created. Nada. I will try creating one on my machine and have hers connect to it.

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
W7 was previously installed on both unit w/o Home setup...

When I tried to install it on my side, it did the same thing. A svhost.exe just spinning its wheels. Oh well, guess I have some use for this NAS box now.. hehe

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Can anyone point me to the easiest way for me to share files remotely and internally with an internal HDD? I cannot seem to get HG to work no matter what and I cant seem to get the drive I shared to be visible internally or externally. Thanks for anyone's help.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
make sure whatever files you want access to are shared, then find the ip of the computer with the files and then do a search on the other computer for that ip and see if you can see the files. may ask for the pw, if so enter it and be done

chawks2

Can anyone point me to the easiest way for me to share files remotely and internally with an internal HDD? I cannot seem to get HG to work no matter what and I cant seem to get the drive I shared to be visible internally or externally. Thanks for anyone's help.

The key to solving this somewhat annoying issue is to use the vault. In the search/run area -> type "vault", use the vault to remember passwords. I find it works very well. I also turn off homegroups (run area -> homegroup), in the advanced sharing area -> "home or work" -"homegroup connections" -> "use user accounts..." > .

Good luck! :thup:

FatCamel

I had this prob with my 2 desktops and my wife's laptop. My HTPC could connect to laptop but my main PC couldn't connect to either.

What I had to do was change my internal IP to the same range.

At first:
my pc was 192.168.0.1
Lappy was 192.168.75.1
HTPC was 192.168.75.2

So I just made mine to 192.168.75.0 and everything was fine.

These IP's are not what I really used but you get the picture and I am too lazy to run IPConfig atm.

So just check all internal IP addresses and make sure they are all in the same range.

nightelph

Then only issue I have with my Homegroup is interfacing with my PS3. All other machines communicate and share flawlessly. But the PS3 doesn't always see the files I'm sharing, from any computer. PITA.