• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wacky Idea for cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madengineer

Ok, so was recently thinking of a great way to cool my new computer, now that summer will soon be upon me. And after tidying up, i realised i had an Air con, from the previous summer that i didnt like to use to cool my unit, because of the large living area. So i thought, wouldnt it be great to be able to attach this Aircon to my PC. Which is where my Idea comes in.

General idea, is to send the cooled air directly into my case, there by cooling all the components. Without Causing a build up of condensation. So...Outline

My case is an RC Elite 430 housing 6 fan placements, one of which is on the side, directly above my Mobo and most major Components. (CPU, GPUm Ram)

So with this in mind, i set out to Construct a suitable/Experimental Cooling device. So basically, we start with the Air con, its free standing, so i can place it anywhere, and it comes with a drip tray for expressed water. Now because of the somewhat large vent, measuring 22cm's i couldnt just run a pipe directly from it to the PC. So i decided to use a Sturdy and resistant Plastic bag, made out of the same material as Builders plastic. about 8mm's thick with a life expectancy of 4 years. So, It would be shaped like a cone. This would extend to a 120mm opening at the opposite end, where it would attach to a PVC pipe. The plastic would be attached with Acrylic sealent at both ends. (Suggestions needed here for materials)
Then from that pipe, it would be extended to the 120mm Fan placement on the side of the case, secured by screws, and a bracket of some sort. Then just start pumping away :D

The Air Con is capable of sustaining a 22 Degree temp indoors when outdoors its about 35. it has a minimum setting of 16Degrees.
It wouldnt be a 24/7 setup, but would be used when doing Intensive operating of the computer. CAD/Gaming etc.

So basically i'm looking for opinions. some people may say its expensive. but considering i just have the Air con sitting there, i may aswell use it. And some may say its expensive to run it, but if its on for 3-5 hours a day, its only going to cost me 2.80$ a day. max.

But anyways, please feel free to comment.

there is an easy way to snag the air comming out of a big wide Ac vent.
just get a air duct vent , you know the same thing that is behind the grill in your home
it goes from round to the rectangular hole in the buildings.
something like this http://www.ductworks.net/xcart/product.php?productid=645&cat=102&page=1

then in reverse put the Large Vent side over the AC vent, and put a ducting pipe of the flexable variety on it. like this http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Air+...nw=193&start=205&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:205
you can potentially remove the insulation and still have a flexable pipe.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
or use a plastic dryer hose.

it is expencive to run unless you also needed it for the home anyway. you can not keep the hard cooling Continual, because the system would have to cycle or the evaporator will just freeze/snow up with condenced water. without it cycling it will end up becomming less and less cool.
it should not end up causing condensation, because the moisture should get trapped back on the very cold coils, so that is one less problem.

Last edited:
Nope. Nothing that far advanced (and too much work :p)

Just working with what i have :D cause in summer, it gets quite warm here. And even in winter, my pc gets toasty

Instead of pvc pipe I would use dryer ducting like psycogeec posted. As long as you don't mind the extra heat created by the ac I imagine it will can keep your computer nice and cool. You could even go a bit further and make a return line from the exhaust fans to the ac intake and make it a closed loop.

Or, not sure how you have it set up, but I was definitely considering it. I have central air and the vents are on the floor, just set the computer over the vent and let the air blow up and through the bottom. Assuming you also have air coming in from the bottom of the tower

Back