• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wait for 64 bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

Is it better to wait for amd's newer cpu's to come out before getting a new ddr II mobo, or can i get a mobo now that will support future amd processors...I guess i'm a little lost on the new stuff coming out and whats compatible with what...any suggestions are appreciated..

Thanks

ARGON

Registered
Depends how long you can wait. I am sure you don't NEEED to have a new PC right now. On the other hand, it seems that people are always waiting for something, like there is just one technological barrier left to be broken and there will be nothing new after that.

There are some exciting new Athlons out right now 2600+ and 2700+ . Botha re available with 166 Mhz FSB. Mid-December we will see the Athlon 3000+ and in January, it is looking like we will see the long-awaited Bartons (you never can tell with AMD though lol). The Claw Hammers won't be available until 2H 2003 so you might find yourself waiting a while.

OP
unwrittenLaw

unwrittenLaw

I guess I'm looking to get a new mobo that will support these faster processors in the future...something that won't be obsolete next year..

EluSiOn

I have a question about how is personal desktop computer able to benefit from 64bit CPU?

I thought 64 bit CPU is great for DB server like Oracle 8i or MS SQL 2000? but for personal computing, for games? how? :confused:

and I miss out about Bartons, I thought it was a hammer family series I guess I was wrong

what is the difference between Bartons core and urrent AMD XP2800+ th version B 166 FSB?

ARGON

Registered
I can give you the dumbed down version (that is all I know). Bartons will give you more performance per clock rate than the TB's. Also it will be sporting a 512 L cache.

flixotide

EluSiOn said:
I have a question about how is personal desktop computer able to benefit from 64bit CPU?

I thought 64 bit CPU is great for DB server like Oracle 8i or MS SQL 2000? but for personal computing, for games? how? :confused:

The way technology evolves, it would be tempting to assume that thr 64 bit architecture will make a fast impact on home entertainment.

Whether or not it will have a direct impact through PC's, rather than multimedia bays (e.g. PS2, GC and Xbox), is a question to be raised.

But certainly business systems will be the first to use 64 bit architecure... but technology seems to hit the end-users faster than ever before.... so let's wait and see.

Cheers, Flixotide