• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WAN for Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kiltor

Registered
I have Comcast 6 Mbps service in our living room. I'd like to set up a good wireless network because my gaming rig is in a detached home office off the back of our house. The total distance between the router and the receiving computer will be 20 feet. It is very close, but the signal will have to pass between two wood walls to get there.

Will this work for gaming with a good wireless N+ router and adapter? I'd also appreciate any recommendations on equipment.

thehacker010

You shouldn't have any problem at 20ft with two wood walls. I would be more concerned over concrete, metal, and mirrors.

Not sure about wireless-N adapters, as I don't really use those, but I know the DIR-615 is a good N-router. Also, if you want to wait I think it will be $20 on Blackfriday.

OP
K

Kiltor

Registered
It's more of an entertainment room/office and I prefer it to having my pc in the living room.
I've heard good things about the DIR-615. Which adapter would work best: pci or pci express x1?

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
if you can get a signal and get at least 256kbps or so each direction, you are good to go.

You'd be surprised at how little actual bandwidth games need to communicate over a network.

Albaholic

It's more of an entertainment room/office and I prefer it to having my pc in the living room.
I've heard good things about the DIR-615. Which adapter would work best: pci or pci express x1?

The thread title had me confused for a bit..
I don't think PCI or PCIe will make a difference, use whatever slot you have available and what ever option saves you the most money. That said, I always prefer cat5 over wifi whenever possible. Twenty feet isn't that far and should be easy to hide if planned properly.