• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want SSD in (hopefully) near future...questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

My understanding is that there's something in the Z97 chipset that doesn't allow for m.2 pcie based drives as boot drives? Are you using it for a storage drive? (What drive exactly sorry?)

OP
Chum

Chum

My understanding is that there's something in the Z97 chipset that doesn't allow for m.2 pcie based drives as boot drives? Are you using it for a storage drive? (What drive exactly sorry?)

I was hoping to use it as "boot" to replace my 1 TB WD drive...no need to be sorry I should have stated this

Mjolnir

You should be able to use that one. It's a Sata based M.2 drive, not NVME, so it should be fine as a boot drive. As it's sata based, you won't see any issues in performance that you may have seen with the NVME based drives as (as far as I know) Z97 runs them at a slower speed than Z170/X99.

OP
Chum

Chum

Great...Thanks...still have a lot of more research to do. Like how to clone my HDD to it and PCI- e lane thing...I have video card in the top slot and a Creative sound card which occupies the bottom slot...but there is plenty of time for it, as it may be several months before I can purchase.

LutaWicasa

, Immutable, Administrator
Let's clear up a couple things.:)
This board does indeed support bootable NVME.
It will run degraded if seated in the m2_2 slot due to that being PCIE 2...if in the m2_1 slot (Ultra M.2) it will run full speed as this is a PCIE 3 slot.
I would suggest however that the board's bios be updated to the most recent as this adds some additional NVME support ;)

Mjolnir

It will run degraded if seated in the m2_2 slot due to that being PCIE 2...if in the m2_1 slot (Ultra M.2) it will run full speed as this is a PCIE 3 slot.
I would suggest however that the board's bios be updated to the most recent as this adds some additional NVME support ;)

Hmm, perhaps my understanding is wrong, but I remember we had issues at our old workshop running NVME as a boot drive on Z97 boards? Maybe that was early days.. It would never recognise it as a boot drive, only a storage drive :(.

OP
Chum

Chum

Thank you for the update...

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know! My bad! Thanks for the correction :).

Your responses still greatly appreciated...nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution!

LutaWicasa

But...since it's not an NVME drive, why not use the m2_2 slot?

Asrock Manual said:
If M2_1 slot is occupied, PCIE2 slot will run at x8 mode, and PCIE4 slot will run at x4 mode.

Last edited:
OP
Chum

Chum

The M.2 PCIe lanes do NOT come from the PCIe lanes of your GPU, they come from the PCH on Z97 still.

https://regmedia.co.uk/2014/05/21/intel_9_series_chipset_z97_overview.jpg

please...what is PCH?...don't know all of the abbreviations lol

- - - Updated - - -

But...since it's not an NVME drive, why not use the m2_2 slot?

[/FONT]

Remember...this may be months away before I purchase...so may consider NVME drive...prices keep dropping hopefully

OP
Chum

Chum

To sum it all up, apparently I can use either slot and still be able put the OS on the SSD with the latest BIOS for my board...right?

LutaWicasa

Yes.
And, as an added bonus....whether ED is right or the manufacturer (Asrock) is right, you can run an NVME as OS drive with negligible to nil vid impact ;)