• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to build a mining PC, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milan bates

Hi,
Have been retired for 72h and looking to buy GPU such as Radeon VII and B 250 motherboard to start some fun. Any help, please?

Also looking to buy ASUS B 250 and build a rig. Any advice where to find it, please.
Milan

mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably eBay, I don’t think they make that board anymore, so you will be hard pressed to find it new anywhere.

One thread per subject, please (you're building a mining rig). I deleted the duplicate thread, and moved this into the Crypto section where you'll get the best help. :thup:

Mining boards - https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=mothe...nlAFoskRvNbLmtlzACoaAjwdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That said, I highly doubt a Radeon VII is a good mining card considering what is out now. It uses a lot of power and your ROI will take forever. That said, this isn't my forte so, wait until you hear back from experts on that. :)

Depends how many cards you want to mine with? The ones with many slots like that one you mentioned aren’t made anymore as nobody really bought them. They are available second hand but still expensive.

Other than that, you are pretty much just looking at getting a board with as many pcie slots as possible. Most atx boards that aren’t really cheap will have 5-6 slots.

How about a fresh start to the thread.

What equipment do you currently have?

What spare/old PCs do you currently have?

What GPUs if any do you have?

GPUs are very hard to get right now. My suggestion is before you buy supporting equipment buy as many profitable GPUs as you can.

https://m.twitch.tv/falcodrin check out that twitch stream. It is a bit that scans multiple sites selling GPUs. When it finds one it's buzzes an alarm and puts a link in chat. Jump on it fast.

Create an account on Newegg, Amazon, Zotac etc. Fully fill out the profile with addresses and credit card info.

Just an FYI, Milan, you replied via EMAIL. Please be sure you are posting in the thread so our regular users can see (only admins get the emails).

Here is the reply....................
Thank you.
Don't have any old PC but had some experience from upgrading them.
I can't find any GPU'S and they are costly. I have a reasonable budget but want to build a rig myself.
Ideally 6 cards to start.
Milan

I would not buy anything other than GPUs at this moment.

How are you posting here on the forums? Desktop PC, laptop, mobile?

If you have a desktop you can start there. Getting a GPU and swapping it into that system can get you mining quickly without needing supporting equipment.

But please do not go buying a rack, high wattage power supply, mining motherboard, etc until you have started securing GPUs.

There is demand for "mining" solutions but there is available supply. So don't jump the gun.

Concentrate on procuring GPUs.

Very grateful on wise advice. As a complete novice and as an elderlyminer I am aware of my weaknesses and how easy to make mistake. Thanks

Very grateful on wise advice. As a complete novice and as an elderlyminer I am aware of my weaknesses and how easy to make mistake. Thanks

I would give the above advice regardless of age.

GPUs are near impossible to get. Did you click the link to the twitch stream I linked above? It's a great resource.

welcome to the forums and to crazy crypto section :)

although I welcome the enthusiasm, right now may not be the best time to start building, hardware is hard to get or way overpriced, much better time will be when things cool off and some not so serious miners start flooding the market, it will happen, trust me, it always does, just may take 6-12 months

if you do want it, forget the radeon7, great card, but also very touchy and prone to failure, since you wont get it new, its a high risk investment (at its current price, tis def an investment)
look for the new nvidia 3xxx series, if you can find it somehow, not the 3060 12gb, thats cut down, the 3060ti, 3070 or 3080 are your best bets
also nvidia are far easier to setup, amd can take more fiddling

look for a good platinum or at least gold psu, seasonic or corsair or evga for example (1-1.2kw to have room)

motherboard doesnt have to be mining edition, any ol z270 or h270 with 6 pcie will do perfectly fine, the asus h270-plus can take 8 cards :)

but like stomp mentioned, tis best to find some gpus first, make sure you have at least 2 before going for the rest, oh you'll need misc crap like risers and frames later, you can get most here: https://www.aaawave.com/coin-mining-tools/

as for places to buy .. well my fellow cryptonians here may be of better help since most are in the US, and im in EU where there are no places to buy right now :(

Last edited:
Back