• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to install linux on my laptop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gravity Man

Okay, I got an old laptop as a birthday present today, and I'd like to install Linux on it. But there's a slight catch- I've only got a 486DX/4 75 MHz with 8 MB or RAM and 340 MB of hard drive space and no CD-ROM drive.

Please suggest a distro that will work on this system. I'd like it to be as full-featured as possibe, too. :)

Debian. No frills :)

Or have a look for the '4MB Laptop Howto', which explains how to get a minimal Linux distro running on a limited 386 laptop.

David

I just put Slackware on an old P133MMX w/ 32mb ram, and I have and old 486 just like your's that I am going to put Slack on.

Slackware or Debian, would be what I would recommend.

I would also recommend debain and just do an internet install with it :) As long as it has a floppy drive all you need is the setup floppies to do a net install.

I was thinking about that, but I'd need to buy a PCMCIA network card. Oh well, I might as well get one. By the time I got enough floppies, i'd probably be half way to a NIC.

Back