• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to reformat/install XP Pro...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

Well I was infected by the Nimda worm during the 30 minutes I had my router disconnected from my cable modem, and also my system is getting kinda cluttered up so I want to clean it all up.

I've already put everything I still want (music, application installers, etc.) on my CDRW, so I'm all set in that department.

What I'm wondering is if I reformat the computer by actually whiping the entire thing out (I believe I do this by right clicking on the C:\ and going to format?), is will I be able to register my Windows XP Pro again? I know that when I first installed it I had to register it or else it would stop working in 30 days or something (not sure if it's a real threat or if it's empty). So I want to be sure before I do it. I haven't found any options on the XP Pro CD to reformat it. It will let you reinstall windows but that doesn't clean out the HD or anything.

I've always just had a system restore disc provided by the system manufacturer but since I built this one and I've never reformatted on XP, I want to be careful.

I have the OEM version of the software (on CD) from NewEgg.com.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
You'll need to boot to the XP CD (it should be bootable) and choose to install a fresh copy of XP. It would be best to delete all partitions it shows you when you reach the disk configuration utility and recreate them to ensure you're starting from scratch.

Just create your partition(s), choose which one you want to install XP onto and then go from there.

You can't format a system drive within Windows.

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Sorry if this is rather n00bie, but this isn't exactly my area of expertise.

My CDRW is set as a bootable device in BIOS, and when I restart my computer with the XP Pro CD in it doesn't do anything. Am I supposed to start by running the setup on the CD while I'm still in Windows?

FarEast

Most Generous Member
ok sounds like you have the quick Boot option set which means when booting the press any key to boot from floopy/CD flicks on and off and if you not looking you will miss it! Go to your bios and kind quick boot and disable it then watch the screen after the restart for the prompt to hit any key to boot from CD

baltoos

Just boot from the WinXP Cd - follow the setup instructions on screen. When your done just reactivate winXP - shouldn't be a prob since you haven't changed your configuration. If there is a problem M$ has a toll-free number to call to reactivate win XP. Good Luck! -Dave