• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to stop those PAL standoff spinnies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n8x2

Registered
Saw this in another thread:

I'd say so. I love my PAL 8045, although it can be a bit of a PITA to apply/remove if the offsets start spinning.

When Asus accidentally threw away my PAL standoffs and associated nylon parts :mad: (but not the bolts, springs, etc), I had to find some replacemets. (strangely enough, they had absolutely no desire to repalce the parts or pay for a new HS WSE :mad: :mad: )

So I pict up some new 1/4" x 1/4" hex 6-32 NC M-F standoffs (identical in every way as the original) from my local electronics store, and some regular 6-32 NC nuts, and my buddy handed me four of those reddish-brown, thin, cardboard, insulating cardboard washers you see on electronics here and there. I don't know what they're called, but they're common enough.

Anyway, instead of bolting together like this:
- standoff
- nylon washer <- specific to your mobo holes (lucky me: the PAL ships with extras!!)
- mobo
- nylon nut
which slips and spins

:) Try this:
- standoff
- nylon washer <- specific to your mobo holes
- mobo
- insulative cardboard washer
- regular 6-32 NC nut
IE - replace the nylon nut under the mobo with these washers and regular 6-32 NC nuts. Once tight, my standoffs DO NOT SPIN!! Even if I tighten the mounting bolts a little too much! Solid like a rock!! Note: the nuts are firmly tightened, but not overtightened.

Obviously, any SMD's that are too close to the holes *could* interfer with this change. For me, the new parts were slightly smaller than the supplied nylon nuts, so no problems WSE!

N8

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Hey! Finally a use for those otherwise useless washers! I only use them to protect my case when I put the screws in for the side panels, after I've painted it. Good to see there's another use for them. :)