• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting To Move Away From Avast For Something Good And Lighter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Currently I am using this set-up for my main firewall and anti spyware/virus

Avast Free
Spybot 1.6.2 (I don't like V2.xxx I've never had any issues with 1.6.2)
Spyware Blaster
Windows Firewall
Router Firewall

I think Avast is getting bloated now with all it's so called new features that it seems to be adding behind the scenes was thinking Microsoft Security Essentials I am pretty good at general net surfing and mainly stick to forums and gaming channels and download games via STEAM, Origin etc

Any suggestions that's a good alternative and lighter on resources' not that I need to worry about my rig slowing down as it doesn't.

I have not used any firewall besides Windows Firewall probably for the past 5 years with no issues. Have not had a virus that i did not intentionally (more or less) give to myself by going to less-than-reputable websites.

Get UBlock Origin or another ad blocker and be on your way.

I use AVG free on one computer and Avira free on two others, neither is 'small' by any means. Both are HUGE but they are free and they work OK. I have no experience with Avast's size but today I don't think there is anything 'small' anymore. I see very little difference in resources used between Avira and AVG.

They are used in conjunction with Windows Firewall and Malwarebytes / Super Anti-Syware manual versions.

These days, a good ad blocker will do more to prevent viruses than traditional AV will. Chrome + uBlock origin, MSE (or Windows Defender or whatever it's called these days), Malwarebytes when you suspect something is up, call it good enough.

These days, a good ad blocker will do more to prevent viruses than traditional AV will. Chrome + uBlock origin, MSE (or Windows Defender or whatever it's called these days), Malwarebytes when you suspect something is up, call it good enough.

Good additions RB. I also use Adblock Plus and Ghostery in the background with Firefox and and these may also be available for Chrome. There are others.

Good additions RB. I also use Adblock Plus and Ghostery in the background with Firefox and and these may also be available for Chrome. There are others.

I generally recommend Ublock Origin over Adblock plus since ABP was being paid to whitelist ads and I've found it to be more resource heavy than UBO as well.

Avast for me is only using around 30 MB of RAM. I would think that is small in today's world of applications! I wouldn't rely on Windows Defender for anything. I have seen things slip by time and time again with Windows Defender. As far as free goes, I still think Avast is the best solution. Simply do a custom install, and unselect everything you do not want installed.

Avast for me is only using around 30 MB of RAM. I would think that is small in today's world of applications! I wouldn't rely on Windows Defender for anything. I have seen things slip by time and time again with Windows Defender. As far as free goes, I still think Avast is the best solution. Simply do a custom install, and unselect everything you do not want installed.

every AV has stuff slip by it. ive also had windows defender grab stuff that AVG missed.

Also check out Bitdefender under the toolbox for the Free version..

This for light and good.

Actually, I think Windows Defender has improved to the point where I'm just going to go with it and Malwarebytes free and see how it goes. I get tired of the constant nags to upgrade that accompany most all the free products.

One thing Avast free has going for it that many other free AV products don't is the built-in boot time scanner. However, several companies like Bitdefender offer a stand alone boot time scanner you can burn to a CD and use.

I've run with defender only for years and have been good. Good browsing practices FTW. :)

Yes, the user is the most important factor in staying infection free. And to good browsing practices I would add good email management.

I use a hosts file (currently a 29.4mb file on my desktop) with hostsxpert & a static ip, clamwinfree (occasionally), and tinywall on my desktop. On my tablet I use clamwinfree and switched to WFC-windows firewall control-no hosts file other than a block ms bs list. I like tinywall as it is super simple but also super powerful. Wfc has it's merits but takes you directly to the built-in windows console snapin which I don't really want to look at too much. Less is more and simple is better. Trick is in finding that balance. Win10 is imo a mess all around. Oh yeah, both my email accts are on encrypted servers; tutanota and protonmail. I primarily use proton and it has 2factor authentication login. I tried tutanota's 2factor and got locked out and had to create a new acct, abandoning the old. nbd

Last edited:
Back