• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting to upgrade, what can I expect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hello. Before Intel fanboys attack, just want to let you know, I am a huge AMD fanboy, been one since what, I refused to get the Pentium 90 and got my first AMD chip way back in the 90s, so not likely to switch back.

Secondly, I like that AMD chips are somewhat connected to "ATI" cards, I have no intention of going to NVIDIA (although I have in the past and do like them, I just prefer AMD).

So anyway, my current setup is in the signature below. I want to keep my video card for now, and I want to keep the PSU (I believe it's enough, but I would consider switching if really needed, or if it's not up to par)

I play games, but mostly I do a lot of video encoding into HEVC and my current setup is so slow it takes 24 hours to do a good job on a 10GB to 1GB encode from Bluray to HEVC in high Handbreak settings.

So, is it worth it to upgrade to something like a 2700 or 2700X? Or even a 2600X? I am thinking of grabbing the x470 ASROCK mobo (Taichi probably), 2x8GB 3200 ram, a nice M.2 512GB drive for OS and games, but other than that I think I will keep the storage and video solutions I have now. I do need some ideas on cooling for this (does the Corsair water cooler like H80i or H100 work on this still?) and of course I'll need a new case, if you want you can also recommend that (want a mid tower that's easy to work, light, and not too big).

Basically, I know 3000s AMD are around the corner, should I expect a price drop on the current generation? Is it even worth upgrading since my cpu is already 8 core (games run real nice already, what more can I expect?). Some people say it's day and night but in what way exactly, since I don't seem to notice real slow stuff on my system now.

Any info on the above would be highly appreciated, I will monitor and answer any questions or comments so that I can get somewhere.

Thank you.

For a comparison …..I do allot of BLU-RAY work. On my 1700X a typical encode of a 50GB file to fit a BD-R disk takes about 1Hr to 1.5Hr give or take (depending on OC) using BDRebuilder and about 30 to 45Min with DVDFab. Now I'm not to picky and just use the default setting. For a comparison my FX8370 at 5 GHZ was about 2 Hrs or so some about 3 depending on the actual video format of the disk. I havn't used handbrake so you will have to judge for yourself.

Cooling for the RYZEN line is a breeze compared to the FX Line an H100 will suit you just fine. For me I am waiting for the next Ryzen for upgrade which should be a decent upgrade, March or April can't come soon enough as I have started some peripheral upgrades already in preparation.

Wait until CES before making your decision. If the Ryzen 3's are anything like what I think they will be you'll see a bunch of Ryzen 2xxx on sale as people upgrade so you can pick one up on the cheap. (unless you decide to go Ryzen 3XXX)

Whether you choose the current generation of Ryzen or the next on coming up in the spring of the year, you will experience a huge performance increase in encoding. The FX-8350 performed on par with the Intel i5 in from the same generation, even in encoding tasks. Compared to the Intel CPUs back then the FX CPUs were much poorer performers on a per core basis. Now, AMD has almost caught up in that regard and much ahead in performance per dollar.

OK thank you everyone. Right now I'm really looking at the 2700X, it's the best I can find for the money, and for some reason I just can't seem to get around the idea to go down on cores (To the 2600X) even though it would save me huge money, it's a psychological block I guess from going to a 6 core from my current 8 core. I'll wait until I can get the 2700X for under $300CAD if that will happen, or spend more on the 8 core 3000 series when it comes.

How about my 7 year old PSU? It has all the connectors correct?

The connectors haven't changed with regard to PSUs. My bigger concern would be the reliability of a PSU that old.

Really huh. Well I suppose I could just upgrade everything. I want a new case, and since I'm going to upgrade mobo, ram, and I have two GTX580s that used to be in my system, I could just get a new PSU for this new build and make a complete new system and leave my old one together rather then take the parts out collecting dust. I could even sell it for a bit, we'll see (jeez, seems like an obvious thing now.., lets hope my two GTXs collecting dust are still ok).

I'll of course ask around on what the best current PSU is, and whether fully modular is the way to go (I don't get the point of modular main power connector, what's the point of that exactly)..

Many on this forum would steer you to the EVGA super nova G2/G3 series. If you are running only one GPU, no matter what it is, 650 watts will be more than enough. If two power hungry GPUs are installed, you want to look at something a little beefier.

Many on this forum would steer you to the EVGA super nova G2/G3 series.

I'm certainly a fan. The Seasonics have been getting great reviews for a while, too, they just tend to be a bit pricey when not on sale.

I'm certainly a fan. The Seasonics have been getting great reviews for a while, too, they just tend to be a bit pricey when not on sale.

I agree. Tho I would gladly pay a few bux more for it. I've been hooked on Seasonic for quite a while. I was a huge fan of Silverstone back in the day.

If you're near a Microcenter, they are closing out the 8C/16T Ryzen 7 1700X for just $140 with ATX B350 motherboards starting at just $60 (ASRock B350-Pro4) - so $200 for the combo. For a few $30 more you can pick up the latest B450 (ASRock B450-Pro4) for better upgradeability going forward.

Thanx for all the info, right now I'm looking at the fully modular Corsair 850, it's on sale, looks great and has great reviews. I figure all the high-end brands are very similar, and a Gold certification from Corsair should be on par with the high end PSUs from any of the other companies. Not to mention that I have a Corsair PSU right now and it has never given me problems. In fact, rain got on my system one time while running, it turned off automatically, was completely wet at the back, I thought for sure it's gone, but I left it open for 24 hours and it came back and it's been running non-stop for a few years since. And this is a Bronze model!

As far as the rest, I'm waiting until the 3000 series comes to see what happens to the prices, I have my mind set on a x470mobo and 2700x so that is what I'm looking for as a sale (but will consider x370 and 1700x for sure, if it is incredibly priced). I'm in Canada, you guys have no idea how amazing you have it with sales, here we have much higher prices always and sales mean 5% off.

Gold is an efficiency rating....those really doesn't say a ton about quality.

Corsair psus range from adequate to great. Which specific model are you interested in? I prefer the evga supernova g3 series. Tier 1 psus... good bang for your buck tier 1 psu.

This is the one I'm looking at, at the moment. Don't look at the price, this is just a link, I found it for much cheaper (it's on sale for same price as the 650 model, for a month): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...50&cm_re=corsair_TX850-_-17-139-209-_-Product

I have the TX series right now so seeing this it seems like a nobrainer since I'm already familiar with its performance. I also looked that HX series, it's $20 more but it seems the only difference is that the HX is fully modular whereas the TX has the power cable attached, which seems normal to me (why would the mobo main power be modular I always wonder?)

If you have a PSU in mind for similar price that can handle similar loads and you think it's the way to go, please let me know, I'm always looking for ideas and people's opinion, and I wound't mind a different one.

I just did a quick check (this is an edit), and EVGA psus are more expensive, a 600W semi modular costs as much as the TX850 above, I think this is a great deal, no?

I did find this though, it seems too good to be true: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151188

It seems at this point I'm torn between the Seasonic Focus+ and the TX series from Corsair, right now they are both on increadible deals, the Seasonic is fully modular, the TX semi, they are both 850W great PSUs I'm sure.

Last edited:
TX line is one of the adequate ones.

As I said above, I prefer evga supernova g3 series. For what you listed, a 650w model is plenty. Newegg has it for $79

Edit: you dont need 850w. 650w is plenty. I would go with either the seasonic focus + you mentioned or the evga I did. The TX line isnt in the ballpark compared to those two.

TX = adequate. G3/FOCUS+ = great. Let's be clear on that. :)

Last edited:
(why would the mobo main power be modular I always wonder?)

Makes it easier to sleeve the cables would be a good reason, but the "fully modular" design does cost more, so it ends up on their higher end PSUs. The HX is higher end than the TX. Then I think RM and AXi. Better capacitors, better filtering, stouter regulation, more features like software monitoring, etc.. Having said that, I have a CX750M that's going on 6 years of flawless performance and that's their bottom tier.

I like the EVGA G2 series, myself. The G3 warranties frequently aren't as long as some others. Example, if you buy a SuperNOVA G3 650 before 12/31 you get 9 years warranty. The G1 and P2 are 12 year warranties. It pays to read the fine print. The 550 has had all their warranties cut to seven years (+2 before 12/31), so I'm starting to shy away from recommending them. When a company shortens warranties without lowering prices I get leery.

Back