• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warcraft 3 question ....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o0OBruceLeeO0o

I have recently rekindled the flame that is my Age of Empires 2 addiction. I love that game and it will always be in my top 10 list but I am just curious how good the newer RTS is? How does Warcraft 3 compare to AOE2? From what I hear it is more hero based, but the person who told me this was comparing it to Starcraft. I would like to try a new game with lots of games online (AOE2 is kinda dying in the multiplayer area). After being a diehard AOE2 player would Warcraft 3 be good to me? Thanks for any input...

progamer

Warcraft 3 is very good online. Singleplayer has a great story. I would say it's worth the money. I'm not sure though how it would compare to the new Age of Mythology which just came out recently. You might want to take a look at that one as well.

Mr.DLucey

I brought Warcraft3 when it first came out (had it reserved), played it for like 3 mounts. It's OK, I may still go back to it some time. When I got it I was hoping it would replace StarCraft. It didn't. But it's still worth the money.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I'll go back to War3 online when Blizzard clears up the cheaters, and figures out what to do w/ it patch-wise.

1.02 made the NE the most powerful. 1.03 made the UD the most powerful. 1.04 makes the Humans the most powerful. No matter what they do, they can't balance the game for crap.

baqai

The game have very good SP and awesome MP, i don't do gaming on Internet so i have no idea what's going on battlenet but on LAN this game ROCKS !

Oni

WC3 is more strategic than SC or BW. In WC3, It's best to figure out a strat, put it together, and use it effectively. Massing one kind of unit in WC3 is not only a good way to lose against a good player, it's also cheep. Wheras in SC and BW, unit massing was all the rage.

Oni

I think it's 90 . . . I might be wrong. There's also a kind of tax on having over a certain number of units. If your unit number goes over 40, you lose 3 gold per peon trip, so you only make 7 gold per trip per peon. If you go to 60 (I think) you lose 5 gold per peon per trip. At 80+, you lose 7 gold per peon per trip, so you only clear 3 per trip. It's an effective way to focus the game on micromanagement, rather than macromanagement.

and BW is Broodwar, the SC expansion.

OP
o0OBruceLeeO0o

o0OBruceLeeO0o

Hmm I dont think I will be buying W3. I like AOE2 because I like having battles of 200+ vs 200+ military units. I like mass producing as well :). Welp I guess I just gotta make some more friends who play AOE2 lol. Its not letting me play on the msn zone because I dont have the latest patch, and the latest patch gives me errors!