• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

was going to go w/ swiftech 462-2(i think thats it), but is expensive as balls and a ***** to instal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackearth

was going to go w/ swiftech 462-2(i think thats it), but is expensive as balls and a ***** to instal

was going to go w/ swiftech 462-2(i think thats it), but is expensive as balls and looks like a ***** to install. . .so what now? i thought about that new vantec-easy installation, performed good in tests. . .but what should i go with? looking to spend up to $30 (hey , its all i can afford). . . .

Well, with your budget you can buy a Globalwin FOP38 (it's really noisy), or Alpha PEP66 (it's quieter, not with Delta 38 fan) but you need enought room around your Cpu.

What Cpu you have? AMD or INTEL?

Blackearth (Apr 16, 2001 10:09 a.m.):
was going to go w/ swiftech 462-2(i think thats it), but is expensive as balls and looks like a ***** to install. . .so what now? i thought about that new vantec-easy installation, performed good in tests. . .but what should i go with? looking to spend up to $30 (hey , its all i can afford). . . .

Blackearth,

I know exactly what you are saying. I have been having a helluva time with the Swiftech 462A. There is a thread here and on amdmb.com about it. I was using the Vantec 6453OD (or whatever it's called) until I got the 462 in the mail. The vantec was working excellently; keeping me cool (1.33 @ 1.50 ghz) and stable.

Once I put on the 462, I had nothing but heat problems, crashes, and finally decided to take it off until I got word from Gabe at swiftech. I have troubleshooted so many times that I was just frustrated at that point.

That vantec is well worth it though. It's kinda loud but keeps everything cool. It's a lot cheaper than the FOP38 and the clip is so damn easy to install. Only $20 at pcnut.

Amiel

FWIW, I thought installing the MC-462A was a breeze. Admittedly, I didn't care for having to remove the motherboard to do so, but it was, after all, a one time thing. Oops, actually it was t two time thing, because the first time, I didn't glue the threads of the standoffs and a couple tried to unscrew themselves when I took the base off. I have had excellent temp results, however, before I ever turned on the power, I made sure the base was not bottomed out on the standoffs before it was bottomed out on the core. Not a hard feat to test. I just tightened down the retainer spring screws until the were all the way in and tried inserting a business card between the base and the standoffs. It passed easily, so, I knew the base was supported by the core. Running my Tbird at 90W, idling, it runs 5 deg over room temp, even with the fan all the way down and under Prime 95, it runs 20 deg over ambient with the fan all the way up. At 90W, that is quite an accomplishment. I find myself taking it for granted, until I slip on my old FOP-32 and see the difference.

Hoot

hmmm, for $20 i just might go with the vantec. . .oh well, i wont be buying anything till i get my check thursday. . .

Back