• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was this a good deal on a used Thinkpad T43P for $379?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bangwhiz

Just bought this used Thinkpad T43P for $379. I have a special application that it will run perfectly. See seller's description below:

"IBM's ultimate execution before Lenovo took over! IBM Thinkpad T43P (top of the line, workstation class) laptop with rare 15" 1600x1200 flexview screen. This was a pricey option which provides a high resolution screen that is easily viewed at other angles. Great for sharing your presentation, movie with others.

Used and in good condition. The screen has a minor flaw which I tried to show in the blue screen picture. It's visible only in certain solid color backgrounds and I hardly notice it. It's smaller than the size of my pinky nail and is grey in appearance. As if someone took a pencil and made a tiny squiggle.

Specs are as follows:
-Pentium M 2.2 ghz (fastest in class)
-2 gb of ram
-7200RPM 60GB HardDrive (fastest in class)
-ATI 128bm ram, 400mhz FireGL V3200 (great 3d card and I ran dual external lcds when hooked up to the dock, 24" + 20")
-DVD-CDRW
-9 cell battery, holds a charge
-A/G Wifi + Bluetooth
-Keyboard light
-TPM security with finger print reader for enhanced security
-A/C Adapter

Extras!
-IBM Thinkpad slim docking station. (adds dual external lcd support and tons of ports)
-Mogo PCMCIA BT Mouse. Stores and charges in the PCMCIA slot
-Docking station a/c adapter

Great laptop with one of the best keyboard and trackpads available (better than my new Dell Precision laptop). No operating system is included."

See more and photo's here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...18148&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

I needed minimum dual 7200 RPM drives, 2.2 Ghz minimum, 1600x1200 screen, dual monitors when in docking station. I have copy of XP Pro I can install.

Good deal your opinion, or a screw-up?

Last edited:
For a REAL think pad with good specs? That's not bad. If the battery still runs good, I'd say you got yourself one hell of a linux notebook. :0

But alas, it'll prolly run doze. :(

Thanks for your input

Ya - got to run it with windows - because application I will be running on it requires it. Boy, I wish I knew anything about linux.

I asked Quietice's opinion because he helped me get the best overclock out of my AMD 939 2.2 X2 and he pointed out the core in the laptop I bought was single core. Fortunately, I will primarily be running one application, a database hooked to the application, and the application is predominantly memory resident.

Dumb as it sounds - the fact that it was single core processor and what that meant in terms of performance versus a slower dual core never entered my mind! DUH! - but it will work great for my main laptop application. So used to dual core processors at this point never occurred to me to think about cores!:bang head

Last edited:
Ya - got to run it with windows - because application I will be running on it requires it. Boy, I wish I knew anything about linux.

I asked Quietice's opinion because he helped me get the best overclock out of my AMD 939 2.2 X2 and he pointed out the core in the laptop I bought was single core. Fortunately, I will primarily be running one application, a database hooked to the application, and the application is predominantly memory resident.

Dumb as it sounds - the fact that it was single core processor and what that meant in terms of performance versus a slower dual core never entered my mind! DUH! - but it will work great for my main laptop application. So used to dual core processors at this point never occurred to me to think about cores!:bang head

Oh crikey! Don't beat yourself up so much. I am a developer, and I used the T41, T42p, and T43p all am my primary development machines in Linux AND Windows. And I am like to think it runs them both with aplomb.

The 2.13 and 2.2 GHz single core is blazing fast, and the 533Mhz memory bus on that particular model makes it a friggen fast machine. Your streaming media and the like are faster than in Ubuntu Edgy Egret all the way to Intrepid Ibex. I havent put Jaunty on it Yet.

The Flexview Monitor? Unbelievaballly fantastic, crisp, no crappy polirization effects, just great.

I am writing from my T43p, and I cant see a future where I upgrade this.

The pentium M's arent speed demons but they are not that bad. I used to do all kinds of work in matlab developing code and data mining with my T41 which only had a 1.4 Ghz chip and it didn't really run all that slower than my P7350 Samsung.

BTW, good job buying a REAL thinkpad and not the lenovo knock-off ponderpads

Thanks for everyone's input. I put a second 100GB 7200 drive in it just for the data in a Postgres database and it runs perfect. The Flexview 1600x1200 screen is fantastic. I am really happy with it - single core processor didn't matter.

"I am writing from my T43p, and I cant see a future where I upgrade this." I'm with jdunlop - I don't see a need to upgrade from the T43P for a very long time. Very glad I bought it.

Just as an aside, considering picking up an ASUS netbook ($399 currently on tigerdirect - 7 to 9 hour battery life!) for surfing etc when I am running around and don't need the T43P's dual 7200 hard drive muscle (I play poker online semi-professionally) to run my poker database with a heads-up display accessing hundreds of thousands of prior hands played against over 200,000 players.

Last edited:
Back