• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Block Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[DAD]MeR|iN

I am ordering a 9800Pro and have a watercooling system set up on my "in construction" box (Mag-3, WW cpu block, FSB nb block, t-line, J-r120 pro rad) everything on the box is set up but the vid card, because i havnt ordered it yet. I had originally planned to watercool the vid card as well as the nb and cpu, but now im having second thoughts, would it be more worth it to spend the extra $60 that i would have spent on the water block for the 9800pro on a $60 more expensive card? which way will i get the best preformance? Also, had a question on which would be the best water block for the 9800pro if i decide to go the waterblock direction?

Thanks a Ton!

~MeR|iN

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
If you can push up to a 6800 GT or X800 Pro, then I'd ditch the waterblock in an instant.

But if not, having a GPU waterblock is always a nice thing to have. Firstly, it removes one more fan from your system, and also delivers some pretty massive overclocking capability. My Swifty MCW50 cost me under $40 and keeps my 9800 more or less at dead ambient. Also opens up the potential for vmodding.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
You could also consider WCing the GPU instead of the northbridge. You should get bigger gains from a watercooled GPU than northbridge, and you could attach a very quiet fan to a large HS on th northbridge with nearly the same results I'd think.

JigPu

meionm

I would get a water block for gpu instead of norht bridge, if you get water block you can overclock your card to speeds beyond of 9800xt, I am using asetek asetek gpu cooler 3/8 id runs $39.99

Docta_Z

JigPu said:
You could also consider WCing the GPU instead of the northbridge. You should get bigger gains from a watercooled GPU than northbridge,
JigPu

Good advice! ;)

OP
[DAD]MeR|iN

[DAD]MeR|iN

ok you say to get rid of the northbridge water cooling, and go to gpu cooling for bigger gains, are you talking bigger vid card gains or bigger CPU gains? i am shooting to overclock my cpu, mobo, ram, THEN gpu. I can understand you saying go with watercooling on the gpu before the nb if its just gpu speeds you want to up, but what i need to know is, forget the other watercooling stuff, and think just specifically gpu. would i get better preformance out of a 9800pro watercooled or a non-watercooled $60 more expensive card? i hope this helps clear up my question a bit, im not the greatest and wording my questions. :)

~MeR|iN

Nightingale

I would just make a NB air cooling heatsink for like an old pentium cooler or something. No point in really watercooling IMO if you have decent passive or air cooling on it(unless its one of those boards that has an NB that runs insanely hot when ocing causing instability). I would go for water cooling the GPU personally.

meionm

Cooling north bridge would help only if you had a cpu that would overclock to extreme, otherwise if you overclock is higher or on par with average you won't need it, running air or water cooling gives same performance

OP
[DAD]MeR|iN

[DAD]MeR|iN

meionm said:
Cooling north bridge would help only if you had a cpu that would overclock to extreme, otherwise if you overclock is higher or on par with average you won't need it, running air or water cooling gives same performance

well the cpu i have happens to be one of those that oc to the extreme, was hard to get ahold of, but i have a pretty strong feeling that i will need the nb cooling, i plan to oc the crap outah it :) so like i said, watercooled saphire radeon 9800 pro, or a $60 more expensive (better) card?

thanks again!

~MeR|iN

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
9800pro =380 / 680
9800xt = 412 / 730

Based on our list of overclocks, the biggest hurdle to obtaining XT speeds will be getting the memory up there. However, it seems that most cards that used ramsinks of some form could get their memory fast enough. The core is fairly easy to OC even on air, and those with water tended to get ~460 on average.

The list dosen't have many XT overclocks (only 2), but those two cards are in about the same ranking as high end Pro overclocks. If you use water, it looks like you should be fairly close to what an XT could overclock to. Of course, basing the XTs overclockabiliy on only two cards isn't exactly reliable...

JigPu

OP
[DAD]MeR|iN

[DAD]MeR|iN

thats what i was looking for jugpu, thanks! I think i'll just order a saphire radeon 9800pro and see what it can do with ramsinks and air for the time being, and if its not up to par, ill order a waterblock and throw it into the system and see what happens. thanks a bunch for the help guys, i really appreciate it, saves me time and money!

later

~MeR|iN

YellowDart

Mer|in, you might want to consider a HIS 9800 pro. Not that I'm slanted in any way (see sig :p), but it did come stock w/ a VGA Silencer rev 2 and ramsinks preinstalled. Not too shabby for a little extra cash if you ask me. It is essentially the same card as the Sapphires, and I've seen them OC equally as well as a Sapphire. Just another option to throw at ya. ;)