• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooled hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It couldn't hurt especially if you running RAID or SCSI, but a good fan blowing over them is just as good and alot cheaper. Besides adding the HDD block will add that much more heat to your WCing loop.

this sounds more like a "let's see if I can do this" project. You'd get bragging rights, but not a whole lot over a fan or two

*edit* wording

How about 6 drive blocks all on a dedicated loop? 4 15K's and 2 7200 EIDEs, 1 block per drive.

Fans for drives can be as noisy as fans for CPUs. A pair of 120mm thermoflows thru a transmision cooler is a lot quieter than the 12 40mm fans on the heat-sink drive coolers I used to have...

wormwood said:
How about 6 drive blocks all on a dedicated loop? 4 15K's and 2 7200 EIDEs, 1 block per drive.

Fans for drives can be as noisy as fans for CPUs. A pair of 120mm thermoflows thru a transmision cooler is a lot quieter than the 12 40mm fans on the heat-sink drive coolers I used to have...

okay, then you might want to look into a water cooling set up. Just keep in mind that that's a LOT of blocks the pump is pushing through, and it's also quite a bit more heat for the rad/core to handle

Jon

*ok, I just saw you said dedicated loop. so the heat thing shouldn't be a problem*

Eventually, I want to build a "block" for the drives (actually, much more drives). Unfortunately, I nearly went broke buying tools to do it and metal for failed experiments, so I cut my losses and just bought a bunch of Koolance coolers (aluminum, hence the transmission cooler).

I really wish there was more of a market for water cooling mass qty of drives, as then I could buy something pre-built and with just a pair of 1/2" ID fittings for the whole thing. That would be REALLY nice. Even something that cooled 3 drives in 2 5.25" bays would be much handier than individual blocks, and if they sold it for $100 (or less in qty), that would be really cool.

Back