• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooled PC very noisy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fifi78

I have a water cooled PC it's about 5 years old. It's a desktop Medion MD8424 Intel Core i7 3930K, Windows 7, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, Cougar psu 750w (installed a new psu that was 600w) ssd hd and seagate 2tb hdd. Last night the CPU was running at 65c and the water cooler fan came on really loud. I have medion erazer centre which gives cpu temps and fan speeds. The cpu went as high as 79 degrees so i turned the machine off. Cleaned all fans this morning still making loud noise!! Could it be the water cooler and how do i replace it? it has a bllack radiator with two pipes, one is warm the other cooler, which are attached to a round fan above the cpu. This is bolted to the board with four screws and worried if i remove the fan it could damage the cpu, my friend did this to his pc, tried to remove the water cooler and damaged his processor pins. I virus checked my pc, it runs and boots up, ran malaware bytes too.
Could it be the water cooler, also there is a draught coming out the pc from the water cooler radiator, a friend said it should be blowing into the case? ! it's always been blowing outwards since i bought it!! THe water cooler has made a ticking noise like a hhd but it's not from the hhd, so could be that?

Sounds like the pump went bad....

As far as airflow, front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust.

Sounds like the pump went bad....

As far as airflow, front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust.

How would i remove the part sat on top the processor ( there are four screws and to hold it in place and some kind of metal ? like a spring device holding it in place?? ) worried i could bend the pins on processor its a i7 intel 3930k hex core

How would i remove the part sat on top the processor ( there are four screws and to hold it in place and some kind of metal ? like a spring device holding it in place?? ) worried i could bend the pins on processor its a i7 intel 3930k hex core

I recommend viewing a Youtube video showing how to remove and replace a CPU so you can see the process instead of just reading about it. There are plenty out there so you should have no problem.

The heatsink will come off and the processor will stay in the socket, but it is good to know how to remove/replace one...

you have more thermal paste right?

Back