• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooled peltier for PIII 700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clinth

Registered
I currently running a Celeron 366@630 with a water cooled peltier. I'm upgrading the processor to a PIII 700 Cco in hopes of 1000+. My question is will water cooling be enough or should I kept using the peltier? Are there an advantage to using the peltier with this chip?

Thanks
Clinth

Clinth (Dec 23, 2000 12:11 a.m.):
I currently running a Celeron 366@630 with A water cooled peltier. I'm upgrading the processor to a PIII 700 Cco in hopes of 1000+. My question is will water cooling be enough or should I kept using the peltier? Are there an advantage to using the peltier with this chip?

Thanks
Clinth
The old peltier may be too small for the 700. How many watts of cooling capacity does it offer? With the 700 water cooling may be enough, but as each piece of silicon is different I can't say for sure.

I was under the impression that the new .18 micron chips produced less heat then the older.25's. So why would my peltier be to small for a PIII 700?

Its a frost 74 which Qmax of 65 watts. It keeps my 366 about 68F at full load(seti+rc5) and about -5f at idle.

I'm just trying to decide if I want to use the peltier right of the bat or hold off. Not using it is much easier but If I'm gong to be using it later I would rather put it on and be done with it.

Clinth

I'm using TE's Ice-71 80-watt module with my P3-700E @ 1035 MHz. If your cooling system is able to keep up with it, you should be fine with what you have.

I hold right around 6 deg. C with Winamp running and me surfing the Web with mutiple copies of IE, and spikes to about 8 deg. C when I put it to work. I'm using a 3/8" thick x 2" sq. coldplate, which has a lot to do with my temp stability. Given the wide temp swing you mentioned (-5 to +68 deg. F) you must not be using a coldplate or it's WAY too small/thin.

oO

Back