• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooled ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Hey guys im geting ready to build a new system for some EXTREAM overclocking. im taking my obsession just a little furthyer im going to build a phaze change system with a pelt for my cpu and getting waterblock and peltier for my northbridge. also i am planing on jacking the fsb way out of spec and with athlons and ddr ram ive notices a bit of heat comming from them so im thinking of doing a bit of modding to some ram sinks and making them water cooled what are your thoughts on the possabilitys of this? how much extra preformance do you think i can get is it even worth my time

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.
I came acrossed a site today before I reinstalled that sells watercooled ram sinks. I'll try to dig it up and post it.

There is nothing to be gained by water cooling your main
RAM. Even the popular ramsinks are of questionablevalue.
RAM is not based on the same technology as your CPU so
cooling it wont have the same effect.

I don't think u really need to watercool ur ram.
So, i think you should get the Thermaltake Active cooling ram kit instead.

I think is enough, for me.:rolleyes:

Overclocker's Hideout sells watercooled ramsinks now, but at like $35 PER SIDE they are a bit out of my price range. And I havent seen any good specs on them or reviews, so until i do I consider them suspect. Just not enough room in between RAM to allow alot of waterflow. I am guessing they would seriously effect the flow rate of any system unless it was already pushing only like 10 GPH.

Josh

Istari1 said:
Overclocker's Hideout sells watercooled ramsinks now, but at like $35 PER SIDE they are a bit out of my price range. And I havent seen any good specs on them or reviews, so until i do I consider them suspect. Just not enough room in between RAM to allow alot of waterflow. I am guessing they would seriously effect the flow rate of any system unless it was already pushing only like 10 GPH.

Josh

Or had multiple return lines such as I have.

ok well im not realy worried about what it may or may not do to the flow rate since they only components that are going to be watter cooled are the north bridge and maybe the ram. im just thinking of covering every area of they system that might give me a little more. since my cpus operating temps should be close to about -100C that area is pretty much taken care of.

ssjwizard said:
since my cpus operating temps should be close to about -100C that area is pretty much taken care of.
A phase change system will only give you about -40C (max) . To get -100C you will have to go to more "sofisticated" methods of cooling (eg. LN2).

Maybe I missed something, or being up all night has made me retarded but.......

if your going phase change cooling what do you need a pelt for ?

maybe it's me, but lately I've seen a ton of incoherent posts around here..

someone find me a head doctor ! :mad:

i know a company that does custom peltier units. the point of having a pelt and a phaze change system is this. the delta T rating of a peltier depicts the diffrence between the hot side and cold side. if you hook up a pelt with a delta T of 100C to a phaze change system that can keep the hot side down below 0C then the cold side will be -100C + -hot side resulting in temps of about -110C this givs you a close to LN2 temps but is alot cheeper and tons easier to maintain. i am going all out on my new system and cost is not realy a big issue. anyways so those of you who claim my idea is incoherent or doesnt make any sence this is why it will work and thats how the dramatic diffrence in temp from what you get from phaze change comes from.

Back