• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMiguel

Super User
So i pulled the trigger on a 900D case, and a rampage IV black mobo, i should get it by next week, now i want to start getting a list together on what i need

Basically i want to water cool my system listed bellow, i WILL be adding 2 more GPU by the beginning of next year so the setup must support 4 290x and one 3930k I want to use acrylic tubing since the soft tubing isued on other wc builds used to bend and prevent flow, so i guess acrylic is the new standard now..

Mobo: Rampage IV black
CPU: 3930k
GPU: 2x 290x (will add 2 more later)
PSU: Corsair HX 1050 (Will need to add another one)
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance 1866MHz
Hard Drive: 2x 240GB SSD Samsung (RAID 0)

Go ahead and plan for 120.10 worth of radiator at a minimum. Probably 120.12 worth for a quiet system.

I wouldn't worry about switching to acrylic because of bends... get 45/90 fittings to help minimize the curves (though truth be told, I have never used them, but should should as it also shortens tube runs).

Beast of a system.. Hope you have a few monitors to make those cards work... you also lose good scaling over 3 cards so... make sure its worth it.

As far as adding another PSU. Just get a 1300-1500W PSU and sell that one... two PSU's are not really needed. This EVGA SUpernova G2 1300W model fits the bill.

As far as raddage, Yeah 120.10 is what I would shoot for too for optimal and quiet operation. You are cooling, at worst case, 1125W worth of heat there.

I wouldn't worry about switching to acrylic because of bends... get 45/90 fittings to help minimize the curves (though truth be told, I have never used them, but should should as it also shortens tube runs).

Beast of a system.. Hope you have a few monitors to make those cards work... you also lose good scaling over 3 cards so... make sure its worth it.

As far as adding another PSU. Just get a 1300-1500W PSU and sell that one... two PSU's are not really needed. This EVGA SUpernova G2 1300W model fits the bill.

As far as raddage, Yeah 120.10 is what I would shoot for too for optimal and quiet operation. You are cooling, at worst case, 1125W worth of heat there.

All this, +1.

any recommendations on brand? and you think 1300W will power 4 290x?

Brand of?

Yes, that PSU he linked will absolutely run the system.

Edit: read the stickies in this section two or three times through, you'll answer a lot of questions before even asking.
Start here.

As said above. Yes.

the one I linked is fine, there is also a Corsair that would be great as well, but that deal on that PSU is incredible to me for how good it is...http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=349

At $200 it is a 'no brainer'. At $170 after MIR... helluva deal.

That said, unless you are rocking 3x 4K monitors or 3x 1440p monitors, your 4x 290x's won't even be tickled. You can save hundreds by rocking a more appropriate GPU setup for your configuration (which you haven't mentioned).

That said, unless you are rocking 3x 4K monitors or 3x 1440p monitors, your 4x 290x's won't even be tickled. You can save hundreds by rocking a more appropriate GPU setup for your configuration (which you haven't mentioned).

Found in another thread... 3x 144Hz 1080p.
2x 290X is overkill.

Not going to happen IMO , ED, the cards are have a 300 TDP each

130 TDP on the CPU

Thinking the 1300 will fall a bit short of the mark, especially considering a custom water loop adding a pump and 10+ fans

I am all about overkill, however that being said I like the G2 1300 if you look at tri fire as opposed to quad fire. With quad scaling you would not even notice to be honest

If it were me I would be looking a dual loop as no need to punish that CPU for being in the same loop as those monsters

use the 120.2 for the CPU and the 120.8 for the GPU's

Looks like an epic build. May I ask why you are not going with a 4930K

good luck

I hit a not under 900w at the wall with highly overcloked 4930k and 295x2 also about maxed. If he is overclocking like that, I'm with u. Stock gpu or mild o/c.. 1300 is fine.

Wow.. 1080p x3? Yeah, no more than 3 290xs for 144mhz.

It would be great to get a little more input from you Miguel... :)

Are you overclocking heavily? Still going with 4x 290x's (why)? It helps us help you the best if your input is given...As Witchy mentioned, 4 of those, especially overclocked could require a 1.5KW PSU...again... if you are still going with 4 in the end. not to mention your heat load changes and so would your radiator sizing.

Not going to happen IMO , ED, the cards are have a 300 TDP each

130 TDP on the CPU

Thinking the 1300 will fall a bit short of the mark, especially considering a custom water loop adding a pump and 10+ fans

I am all about overkill, however that being said I like the G2 1300 if you look at tri fire as opposed to quad fire. With quad scaling you would not even notice to be honest

If it were me I would be looking a dual loop as no need to punish that CPU for being in the same loop as those monsters

use the 120.2 for the CPU and the 120.8 for the GPU's

Looks like an epic build. May I ask why you are not going with a 4930K

good luck

Seems like more and more people suggest running either 2 oe 3 i may just run 3, and yes i would try 2 loops.

So to get 120.8 i would need 2 x 480 one at top and one at the bottom, and for the cpu the 1 or 2 240 front and bottom left of the case. right?

Why not the 4930k because this is upgrading an existing build :) i already have the other CPU :(

Last edited:
It would be great to get a little more input from you Miguel... :)

Are you overclocking heavily? Still going with 4x 290x's (why)? It helps us help you the best if your input is given...As Witchy mentioned, 4 of those, especially overclocked could require a 1.5KW PSU...again... if you are still going with 4 in the end. not to mention your heat load changes and so would your radiator sizing.

No i wont OC heavily at least for now no reason too. Why 4? honestly just for the looks and for not having to double work :( i have 2 right now and can run everything at max... if i do a full custom water loop i dont want to add a card later and have to redo tubing, but then is it worth it for a 10% increase? probably not, so ill probably stay with 2/3 but still want my water loop to support the 3rd/4th if i do decide to add them...

Here's my honest opinion:
- 2x 290X will run 3x1440p or 4K just fine.
- Get 120.8 worth of rads, that'll cover you for 3x 290X and the 3930K.
- Run a single loop with 2x290X and the 3930K.
- Get a third 290X with a block used after they drop a $150 or so.
- Plan adding the card in during your normal flush/teardown cycle.

Fair enough... Can't wait to see this when it is done!

With 3, a 1300W PSU is plenty. I would stick with that. With a 250W LISTED (though underated) TDP, it will be fine. Being closer to a 300W TDP, that is 900W with all 3 at max full load, and the CPU wont break 200W overclocked under water. Give 100W for EVERYTHING else under the sun (board/pump/fans/etc), that would be 1200W... again if everything was cranked and overclocked to the moon.

Id rock 4 290x's and a 3930K/4930K on it too... at stock at least.

Here's my honest opinion:
- 2x 290X will run 3x1440p or 4K just fine.
- Get 120.8 worth of rads, that'll cover you for 3x 290X and the 3930K.
- Run a single loop with 2x290X and the 3930K.
- Get a third 290X with a block used after they drop a $150 or so.
- Plan adding the card in during your normal flush/teardown cycle.

If i building with the mindset of doing 3/4 cards, and get this type of card block: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/wvt1SGm_FDA/maxresdefault.jpg wouldnt it be way easier to upgrade from 2 to 3 (since ill just cut the tub a little sorter and done)? I know the initial cost will be greater if i get all the radiators i need, but later on i dont have to take everything apar.

You're exactly right, you could also use a multi-GPU bridge for this.

IMO, it's worth the initial cost. Even if you don't add a card later, you can still run lower fan speeds for the same temps.
And who doesn't like a quieter rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back