• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Costs???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mad Butter

I hear you can buy a kit.........Is it expensive?? And can you make your own water cooling setup?? how???

-evan

It is better to piece it together yourself - you will get the best parts this way and usually it is cheaper. What you need:

Pick a block you like - most perform roughly the same
TC-4 www.dtekcustoms.com
Maze 3 (copper top!) www.dangerden.com
Swiftech www.swiftech.com

Radiator:
Heatercores are best, if you don't have the room a Black Ice will do but they are $$$$ and not as good as a heatercore. Here is the one I have http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/19/cat19.htm?994 I would get at least 1 shroud, or make them yourself. 2 is best.

Pump - I swear by Eheim, the 1250 or the 1048 -
http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/20/cat20.htm?994 You can get a Via Aqua but they are not as reliable as the Eheim is.

Tubing - I like Tygon - Clear and flexible, the best. Clearflex is second and cheaper. I would get 1/2" ID and 1/8" wall. http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/20/cat20.htm?994

No need for a res, you can use a "T" line for filling and bleeding. You will need metal hose clamps and a couple of fittings.

No kit?

Can't you buy a kit with everything already in it for you???? Instead of buying everything seperate???

-evan

p.s. i'm new at watercooling........thx guys.....

Welcome to the world of watercooling :)

Best thing to do is to have a good browse through existing posts both here and on the procooling forums - you'll then get a good picture as to what works & what doesn't.

BTW, my .2c - If you must get an off the shelf kit go for Innovatek or becooling.

READ READ AND READ!!!

I can't emphasize this enough - I suggest that you read some guides, get comfortable with what everything does and why.

Then, after that, you'll be back asking which parts are better. ;)

I suggest you don't jump in to watercooling without having some kinda knowledge on it. :)

The kits I've seen have been anywhere from $150-$250. After putting mine together from readily available pieces (i.e. DangerDen Maze3, Chevy Monza heater core..etc.) , I think I may have gone above that. It isn't that I'm trying to spend a lot, it just happened that way. $75 for a pump here, $14 for tubing there, $7 for water wetter here, $80 in water blocks there...hose clamps, distilled water, fittings, fans, ducting, screws, ... maybe I made it hard on myself.

I had a hell of a lot of fun doing it though, and it works great =).

Do it yourself, you'll be glad you did!

-ben

No Kit. No Kit KIT BAD. and if you must the cheapest way to get a water cooling kit is to make the dammed thing yr self... got any 1/2 thick coper stock lying around? skilled in the use of pillar drills and/or mills?... have a look around and find a guide to milling your own blocks its much cheaper (if you can get stock copper)

and the main point is it PAYS to do the work don't be lazy and get a kit you WILL pay the price for lazyness !

Tokayla said:
No Kit. No Kit KIT BAD. and if you must the cheapest way to get a water cooling kit is to make the dammed thing yr self... got any 1/2 thick coper stock lying around? skilled in the use of pillar drills and/or mills?... have a look around and find a guide to milling your own blocks its much cheaper (if you can get stock copper)

and the main point is it PAYS to do the work don't be lazy and get a kit you WILL pay the price for lazyness !

yes...if you do it right...if not then it'll cost you alot in materiels you ****** up

Back