• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling & LANs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kopfab

Could I just carry a water cooled computer to a LAN or would I have to pump out all water first for safety ?

wuzzapiman

Ive been wondering that too
<--------------What i like to play for LAN games, like it? (avatar)

Iron Hawk

Well, If you want a watercooled lan rig, you have to plan for it. Water is heavy, so using a resavoir in you system isnt advisable. Hose Clamps are. The fill bleed tube should be sealed off when being transported. Draining the system beforehand would be way too dificult and time consuming. So yes, you could carry a water cooled computer to a LAN. However special percautions should be made to prevent problems, such as the hose clamps and the cap on the fill line.

No, I showered
Actually, as heavy as a system, especially a water cooled one, would be anyways, I doubt that the extra weight from a small reservoir would be all that appreciable.

mfpmax

I carry and will carry my setups to lans.

But then again, mine are specifically designed for being 100% enclosed.

As long as everything is sealed and leaked tested...it'll be fine.

A res can be in a lan case...its not a weight factor unless you're really week or you have 10 pounds of extra water in that res...which would be a big res.

This setup in the picture is going to a lan party next weekend in fact.
watercooler.jpg

And my old setup has been to a few lans before I dismanteled it.

HeXenViRii

mfpmax said:

And my old setup has been to a few lans before I dismanteled it.

that duffle bag strap is great :D

the most heavy single peice of my system would have to be the case cover ... its one of those 3 sided "armor plated steel" deals. well , not armor plated , but it does feel like it could stop a bullet ;) i broke so many dremel disk bits that i just used a die grinder to make a window , and even after removing a 11x12 plate from its side it still weighs a ton ... so i added a set of office furnature wheels to the case and now i push it to the next lan party :beer:

Warlord2

yeah you can take your computer to lan parties without a problem, you just have to make sure its all inclosed and that nothing is going to leak all over the place while on a bumpy road:D

my computer is quite heavy so I made a handle out of a towel hanger I got at homedepot for like 5 bucks. this also allows me to carry the computer around verticaly without a problem. I would advise not to have a big res at all because water does get quite heavy and its harder to seal thin a T res.

RnPgrosz

I actually brought my Lian Li PC71 watercooled system to a LAN. It turned out alright but you have to be very careful when moving it(especially with plastic hose clamps) so it doesn't leak. A full tower case is also a bit awkward to carry. If you are going be building a Lan rig I would recommend a Mid-tower Antec/Chieftec case(an aluminum one). I'd think those would be ideal for a Lan rig with watercooling as they aren't too big.

Daemonfly

i would suggest a very simple closed loop system.

Just a Pump, Sealable T-line, Heatercore/rad, and the block. Make sure everything is mounted correctly, all hoses are nice & tight.

EgeWorks

As long as everything is sealed no probs - the prob is carrying something that weighs that much. I got to take along a "roadie" to help me with mine (and I'm no weakling). Darn steel.

bongo

A good thing to keep in mind is that loose components in your case are a no no at LANS. Make sure all your stuff is screwed into the case. PUMP and RAd should be bolted into the case to prevent them bouncing around your case when your carrying it.

My latest watercooled lan monster is a tiny Aluminum Coolermaster case. Has only 3 x 5.5" bays and barely fits the pumps and rad.
But It is much easier to carry around to the city for lans. And you get alotta OOooooo's and AHHHHhhhh's when you show up with a h20 system at a LAN. (chicks dig it too - LMAO)