• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling on CPU shuts down the system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FrozenExistence

Hi
I've recently assembled a new pc with the following components:
CPU: 4790K
MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: ASUS GeForce® GTX 970 DC Mini
PSU: Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W ATX12V
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
SDD: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 MKNSSDEC240GB 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC

and decided to replace the stock intel CPU cooler with Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro

Initially, I tried to connect the pump to CPU poer on the mobo and the radiator coolers to the chassis fan on mobo, but the system would shut down in 2 minutes. So I switched the power sources - connected the pump to the mobo and set the cooler to max and connected radiator coolers to the CPU power on the mobo. Under heavy load it still turned off. The temp does not seem to be the problem because as I monitor it with "HWMonitor_x64" they are lower with watercooling than with the regular intel cooler. I also tried to connect the pump straight to the power supply, it still turns off. what might be causing the problem? am I missing something? the pum does seem to work, because when I connect it I can hear the water pumping. Please help! spend a lot of money on this build and already dissapointed(

Wecome to OCF !:welcome:

Generally it's best to take all your components out of the case and perform a test assembly where all components are easy to play with. Do that. Assemble it on cardboard, maybe use the box the MB came in. Set up the minimum components first, then add more components as you go. Yes, there's lots of 'on-off' involved, but you can easily make adjustments, slowly determine what the weak point is in your system.

Top of my head from what you stated in OP, sounds like heat is a problem somewhere.

Hi
I've recently assembled a new pc with the following components:
CPU: 4790K
MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: ASUS GeForce® GTX 970 DC Mini
PSU: Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W ATX12V
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
SDD: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 MKNSSDEC240GB 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC

and decided to replace the stock intel CPU cooler with Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro

Initially, I tried to connect the pump to CPU poer on the mobo and the radiator coolers to the chassis fan on mobo, but the system would shut down in 2 minutes. So I switched the power sources - connected the pump to the mobo and set the cooler to max and connected radiator coolers to the CPU power on the mobo. Under heavy load it still turned off. The temp does not seem to be the problem because as I monitor it with "HWMonitor_x64" they are lower with watercooling than with the regular intel cooler. I also tried to connect the pump straight to the power supply, it still turns off. what might be causing the problem? am I missing something? the pum does seem to work, because when I connect it I can hear the water pumping. Please help! spend a lot of money on this build and already dissapointed(

I'd put my bets that PSU can't handle it. What leads me to believe this is the underlined statements. Pumps can take a big draw on the AMPs let alone wattage.....

I'd put my bets that PSU can't handle it. What leads me to believe this is the underlined statements. Pumps can take a big draw on the AMPs let alone wattage.....
are you talking eheim pond pumps?

He has an aio kit with a pump that wouldn't use more than 20w/1.7A (likely a lot less). His system together won't pull more than 350w. He also has an 850w psu that is of decent quality. Unless the psu is woefully faulty, there is absolutely no way it's his psu. Perhaps the pump is faulty or something but, it's not the psu Not having enough power.

To me it sounds like it's overheating In some capacity. What are the temp you are getting? You mention it's better, but didn't say the temp! What does your case airflow look like? What kind of heavy load are you talking? Gaming? Stress test? Please elaborate.

Also, the pump gets it's power from molex or sata I believe... the 3/4 pin header is for pump control.

Last edited:
Earth.....

The temp does not seem to be the problem because as I monitor it with "HWMonitor_x64" they are lower with watercooling than with the regular intel cooler

So I went with available information.....

Just because it's 850w max, doesn't mean it's a good PSU. Could have gotten a bum.

Shrimp.....

I read that part about temps and mentioned it in my post...should be fine, but who know what the OP thinks is a good temp or what he saw. It is worth verifying. ;)

I already said its a decent PSU (I looked it up before posting), and stated that the only way it wouldn't work is if it was bad. Your post however, alluded to the fact that was because a lack of power.
I'd put my bets that PSU can't handle it. ....

Pumps can take a big draw on the AMPs let alone wattage.....
THAT is what I addressed because pumps are nothing power wise, particularly on an AIO. They don't draw a lot of amps/wattage unless its a pond type pump, but again, he has an AIO (Here are its specs - Looks like it doesn't use more than 15W including the pump and fans). So it is not capacity as you seemed to reason. However it may be bad, as I stated, and you appeared to want to say, but did not because of your supporting sentences.

Anyhoo...... @ OP -
Meanwhile, the 3.0 Pro and 3.0 Performer both rely on a PWM splitter connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard to control fan speed; you'll need to plug the pump into a separate 3-pin header.
My fault. I thought it used molex/sata to power it. It is a 3 pin fan header. Make sure you adjust that fan header in the bios to give 100% to the pump.

Last edited:
If the pump is indeed working it sounds like it isn't making good contact. It could be the PSU is a bum but I think heat is the more likely culprit.

Yup, as already stated, check your temps in the BIOS/Windows and see what speed the pump is set at. Make sure the pump is being run on the CPU header.

Again, it is possible of the PSU being faulty or a bad ground. Hope you used the MB standoffs when installing.

Also, let us know the case being used in this build as well.

Back