• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JasonW

Registered
I recently set up my first OCd rig (air cooled). I would like to try my hand at a water-cooled system but I have a couple of questions. For my first setup I'd like to get a complete kit and I have been looking at the Z4 kit from OverclockersHideout.com. What are your opinions on this kit?

Second question, I have an extra Lian Li PC-65 that I am not using that I would like to use for this setup. It doesn't have any blowholes cut in the case top and the idea of me cutting the holes myself is ridiculous. ;) I'm a dangerous man with a power tool in my hand. So, is there any way I could mount a radiator without cutting holes in the case? or is there any reputable online company (USA) that would cut the holes for me if I sent them my case?

Thanks for any help - Jason

I had a friend just like you that was afraid to drill. What he did, was to go out and get a bunch up zip ties. ALthough your case may be different... but anyways he put the zip ties through the holes that were already in the back of his case put them around the radiator then back out the case. The holes that I am talking about can be just ventalation holes. He also just punched out some of the unused port covers that his motherboard didn't use.

Sorry if this is confusing.
if it isn't hope it saves you time and money

Jason, I have heard not so good things about the Z4 block..

However if you are not about cutting holes in your case, I might be able to help a little bit.

at www.dangerden.com they sell lots of good stuff, including a radiator fashioned into the shape of a cube.

You can essentially duct tape this thing to the top of your case if you don't like drilling holes.

Also they have a good selection of pumps and waterblocks. I don't know if you can fit 3/8 tubing through your unused motherboard slots or not, but I suppose a snip with some tin snipers could fix that (make sure you preotect the tubing from sharp edges tho!)

After that all you'd have to do is feed the tube into the case for the waterblock and pump if you put the pump inside. I'm sure the pump could also be put outside as well.

hope this didn't confuse you much.. I can make a picture if you want :D

watercool1.gif

You may or may not have to take out one of the "dividers" on the back slot... if you do, make sure to protect the tubing, or sand it down. (if you sand EMPTY your case and clean afterwards)

In the picture I put the pump outside, however you can choose to mount it inside, this is just to give you a general idea of what I was talking about.

at DD you can get...

Eheim 1048 pump $57 USD
The Super Cube (radiator) $62.50 USD
Maze 2 waterblock
For AMD $42.00 USD

not sure on the P4 price.. if you need that instead.

You may or may not want to pick up Silicon hose from them, but its expensive.

YOu'll also want to pick up an anti-bacterial agent that won't affect your water temps, I suggest Water Wetter.

You'll also want 2 fans to go with the Super cube, if you get that. I think 120mm fans should fit it fine.

I think I've covered it all, if not someone else will probably drop by and help out

Jason-
I recently entered the watercooling arena a short time ago. I'm no expert, but I've got a pretty good size box of stuff that I tried and did'nt like. What I can tell you is this: buy the best things you can now, and avoid the parts collection!! I had the z4 kit and it honestly was easy to install, but I was tired of it in a week. It actually was a few degrees warmer than previously on air. It was quiet though. I have one of the new 500gph pumps from them, and it sucks.I ran that pump for about 4 hours before I replaced it with a Eheim. It's loud and really just a overpriced bilge pump. I'm now testing a Gemini block, but will probably start playing with pelts very soon. You can't go wrong with the DangerDen stuff- but lose the SuperCube and go for the heatercore.

Jason, here is a image of a Lian Li 60 and the guy who owns it is a member here at OC. His name is CRAPPY and he may be able to help you. Hate to see you mess up a Lian Li case. The photo shows a really clean setup.

Jason, the heater core is going to be better at removing the heat from the water. I do not no how big the 65 is over the 60, but if you have the room go with a heater core. I am using a core from a Chevey Chevette. Overall size is about 6" x 8". Below is a photo.

DodgeViper - I just picked up the same heater core Friday after poring through the Fedco catalog at a local parts store, and it looks perfect for the job. I gotta ask, did you make the fan shrouds yourself? If so, damn nice job! Also, what material(s) did you use, etc.? I'm gonna make a shroud for mine as well to use w/ 120mm fan(s), so any info. you care to share would be greatly appreciated. :D

JasonW - If you're interested, this heater core can be found locally at Advance Auto Parts. As DodgeViper mentioned from his post, this heater core is for a Chevette (year doesn't matter). Or ask for it by the Fedco part #, 2-261. The cost, here in Raleigh, was $27.98 + tax.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I am going to purchase the DangerDen gear although I am going to look into buying that radiator here locally. Thanks for the tip.

Two more questions. Do I need a resevoir with this setup using an Eheim pump?

I plan on having a waterblock for the video card and motherboard as well. What would be the best way to run the tubing?

Thanks - Jason

Last edited:
The Shaman said:
DodgeViper - I just picked up the same heater core Friday after poring through the Fedco catalog at a local parts store, and it looks perfect for the job. I gotta ask, did you make the fan shrouds yourself? If so, damn nice job! Also, what material(s) did you use, etc.? I'm gonna make a shroud for mine as well to use w/ 120mm fan(s), so any info. you care to share would be greatly appreciated. :D

JasonW - If you're interested, this heater core can be found locally at Advance Auto Parts. As DodgeViper mentioned from his post, this heater core is for a Chevette (year doesn't matter). Or ask for it by the Fedco part #, 2-261. The cost, here in Raleigh, was $27.98 + tax.

Raleigh??? I go to State Shaman (sorry if this is kinda off topic guys). You found any good places close to get good off market comp supplies, ya know, stuff CompUsa dont sell??? Almost got my watercooling rig setup.

Istari

JasonW said:
Thanks for the help guys. I think I am going to purchase the DangerDen gear although I am going to look into buying that radiator here locally. Thanks for the tip.

Two more questions. Do I need a resevoir with this setup using an Eheim pump?

I plan on having a waterblock for the video card and motherboard as well. What would be the best way to run the tubing?

Thanks - Jason

For the res I would go to Home Depot and get a underground electrical box. They cost around $10 and come in different sizes. They are grey and are water tight. Drill some holes and put some barbs on it and you are set. As for the running the tubing, the way you suggested will work but the flow rate of water would be slow down dramatically. So to keep the flow rate as high as possible. I would connect the tube from the pump, cpu block, v block, rad, then res. There are countless ways you can do this. So do your homework and plan everything out.

The original

The original article on tomshardware, Never had a resovoir but just had a large externally mounted radiator, possibley you could do the same have everything inside except the rad which would be put on the back of the case with fans acting as case extractors + radiator coolers. I will try and find you a picture, if my glitchy connection will work.

:~(

You don't need a resevoir for an eheim pump. They take up space and they absorb heat if you submerge your pump in them. Just ask someone like Hoot on there opinion about resevoirs and you will get a quick answer of don't use one. (I asked him this once and he woke me up to these facts). My 2 cents.

Jason, you do NOT need a res. Just place a T inline and run the T section of the pipe near the top of your case and cap it off. The T you will use to burb your system to get all the air out.

In the drawing the two bottom fans are drawn showing the air blowing inward, but on my system they will be blowing out from the case. This was an old drawing when I was going to use a rad in the top as well.

Istari1 check out this thread. It has all the info. you need. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. CLICK

Last edited:
Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear. I didn't want my rig turning into an aquarium. ;)

The more GPH your pump provides the better the cooling?, is there a point of diminishing returns or in this case is bigger always better? What I'm getting at, I don't want to buy a pump today and decide in two months I want a bigger one but I also don't want to spend a bunch of money for something I don't need.

I currently have an Enermax Whisper 350W PSU. Will this have enough power for a system like this or do I need a more powerul one?

One final question, does anyone know if the Digital Doc sensors are submersible? If they aren't can someone please suggest a similar product used to monitor water temps.

I have no idea how eheim pumps work.....

but I would assume you plug it into the wall ?

shouldn't have to worry about the PSU.

Also.. as for line placement, I'm no expert, but I'd recommend CPU - Vid Card - Northbridge - Radiator.

just my opinion.

Back