• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water-cooling risks? and other questions from a newbie...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

I'm looking at air vs. watercooling for my new computer that I will be building this winter and was wondering if you could help me.

What sort of risks are there in water-cooling? Do leaks spring up from time to time, or barely never? Is it a very big risk to have water-cooling, or is it safe? I don't want to spend $1300 on my new rig and have it destroyed by watercooling.

What parts do I need for watercooling? What are some good ones? How much could I expect the system to cost me? Where are some good sites to order from?

thanks,
Kent

nealric

If you do it right water cooling is absolutely safe. As long as it's properly tested- there wont be random leaks.
It is much more work than air, but in the end its much more satisfying- and the performance is amaizing.
You will need:
Pump- look for around 300gallons per hour- High end=ehiem Lower end = via. I run a bilge pump I got for $5 :D
Tubing= You can by it by the foot at a hardware store
Hose clamps ans silicone selant- very importaint
Radiator- Go to a junkyard and get a heatercore out of a car. If thats too much work order one off ebay- or buy a premade computer radiator (but it wont perform as well)
Water Block- The most important thing- Dangerden and Swifttech are the main players, but there are many other good ones.
Resivior- If you dont mind going external, a big resivior can be a substiture for a rad. Mine is 5 gallons so i dont even use a radiator. If you want everything internal, look around on the internet- resiviors arent really that importaint to performance- as long as they are properly sized they do the job.
Hood luck!
- Oh yeah-
directron.com is my favorite wc place to order from.

Stalka

if yer really scared about it then get a kit... but if are careful then ya can just build it yerself...

mata2974

I would recommend Koolance, its safe, has a warranty and is really idiotproof as far as set up is concerned. Above all, if yu mess up and temp. start to rise it will shut itself off.:eek:

Xevuhtess7

i have a newb question..... if the watercooling setup leaks or something goes bad, will the company i bought parts from pay for the damages?

X2sandman

A good setup for someone who is looking for a nice w/c setup would be a:
DTEK Radiator with shoud (or make your own shroud)
TC-4
Clearflex tubing
Maxijet 1200 (have to put a barb on)
You could also run a t-line or a res. I run a t-line because it takes up less space and was very easy. I just recently setup my frist watercooling rig and everything went without a hitch. I highly suggest going the h2o route

Xevuhtess7

if the companies wont pay for the damage if sumtin messes up... is there a way that you can kind of waterseal the computer parts like people do with wood on their decks and stuff?

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
There are ways, like coating everything with vasaline or silicone, but these ways are more likely to mess something up than the water is. Trust me, water cooling is very safe as long as you use hose clamps and a well sealed reservoir.

Xevuhtess7

or dont use a resevoir at all..... *cough* t line *cough*. well ive been saving money for 2 years for my first comp project and ive been reading up on stuff daily for about 3 years, i want to make my first project big but my dad is giving me crap about "you cant do that, it wont work, you'll destroy everything, water belongs in the sink" (yes im only 15)

BBigJ

Leaks are extremely rare after the first 24 hours or so (leaks before this are due to poor testing.) If you are really worried about leaks, buy good quality parts, use hose clamps, and test your system outside of the computer. Then after you install the watercooler, don't leave your computer unattended for the first 10-20 hours of run time. If there is a leak, your computer will crash or give a bsod before any of the parts are actually ruined. If you have a crash, just kill the power, find the leak, and make sure everything is dry before you try to run it again.

edit: oh yeah, cost. There are some extremely budget setups for $60 or so (check the watercooling tips archive on the front page.) If you build the system yourself, you can get a great system for about $100, and if you go for a kit expect to pay 150-200. I'd aim for the $100 range to get something decent.