• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Setup idea, need advice please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GHOST_Viper

Registered
Heh, more of the same yet different from me, still in need of advice from the pros

First I should say some screwball took my tape measure when my roommate was moving, so I can't even measure my case to see where I have 6" available and where I don't. That being said...

I have a Lian-Li PC-60. I have a Swiftech MCX462 right now, with a FFB0812SHE Delta on it (hey, 68.5CFM, 48.5dB(A) is only MILDLY annoying right)? It hadn't bothered me for a long time, but it's starting to wear on my nerves now pretty hard. So I'm looking into watercooling (wanted to for a while anyways) as a Christmas present my dad is (might be) willing to buy for me. But I don't want to make it really expensive if I can help it.

The PC-60 is mounted on it's standard little feet, I was thinking of replacing the feet-pads with wheels that hopefully would be about 2" tall. I've taken out the lower HD cage behind the intake fans, and I "think" I might be able to fit a Black Ice Pro Evo down there, either mounted to the underside of the bottom (with the wheels on and sitting on a desk) or halfway mounted into the case. The Evo Pro is only .98" deep. My concern is whether that would be enough clearance for the 120mm fan to do it's job of pulling enough air through the Rad to cool the water down?

I am trying to stay away from the BIM rads in parallel idea, as it's a very expensive way to go, and I'd rather try to save the money and go with a Maze3 WB instead of the default BECooling.com waterblock.

I figure I could place the pump (MaxiJet 1000) underneath my PCI slots near the back of the case, since the only PCI card I even have is a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum. The other question I have, is whether it's necessary to order the pump with reservoir, or if I could just drop $10 and make my own reservoir out of plexiglass and marine goop?

So, anyone else have experience with the original PC-60 and water cooling techniques that could drop a few opinions here for me? Would I be better off trying to use the Pro Evo Radiator through the bottom of the case, or the BIM rad's in parallel through the front intakes (currently housing two Quad-LED 32.5CFM fans)?

My overall setup idea right now, is a Maze3, Black Ice Pro Evo radiator, MaxiJet 1000 Powerhead (is that a true pump by itself, or is it some kind of attachment?), and 1/2" Tygon tubing (why go with Tygon exactly, is it ok to use Masterkleer to save a few dollars for a while?). I was planning on using an aluminum 120mm fan that blows 79-84CFM at 30-32dB, is that enough?

If I can't mount the radiator fully under the case between the wheels and the desk, I was thinking of mounting it at a 45 degree angle, towards the front of the case, with part of it below the case, and the rest in, then making a scoop like you see on the hood of a mustang to direct air.

Please help me out guys :)

-Jason

OP
G

GHOST_Viper

Registered
Anyone know off-hand the difference between a multichannel-type heater core and a flat tube radiator?

Also, what is a 4-pass Radiator? I mean, what does that mean?

cack01

A four pass radiator means the water passes through the fins four times. They perform very badly.

The resivior can be what ever you want. plexi and goop if it ends up being cheaper is a good idea. Its best to always do what you can that way you can learn for future projects.

All the parts you listed, will work just fine. Don't forget to use a shroud on the core, or at least place the fan at least an inch from the core.

I can't help you with the placement, b/c I have never seen a PC60 in person so it hard for me to picture it. But it looks like you have everything under control.