• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling system with Peltier thermoelectric support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deous

Registered
Just posting brand new fresh thread pertaining to usage of Peltier in water cooled PC system.
I am building WC system where Peltier is used not as a complete heat exchange module but a heat transporter device that transports heat from the running loop. The PT cooled systems I saw are terribly designed - they put whole delta heat load on the PT which is from the beginning an insulator between CPU and dissipator in such loop. I studied termodynamics btw
I described it on some other forums. Anyways, Peltiers are so cheap it is just worth implementing them into pc water coolers.
Also such system needs at least one advanced thermostat with temp. range control - about $2 in China )
I'll post when I finish building that cooler

TEC's may be cheap themselves, but everything else you need to run them starts to add up. They are the most inefficient way to cool a loop.
Still, I'm interested. Pics?

I'm sure you're well aware of the power demands a Peltier requires. Sometimes it's not cost effective to create a Peltier cooling system as it will need a dedicated power source just for the pelts. I know, I had built several and back then the power supply to feed the pelts wasn't exactly cheap. Next you will need a hefty radiator(s) just to pull the heat away from the hot side of the peltier and depending on how many peltiers you will be using the heat generated from them will be quite substantial.

I'm with Scotty, I wanna see pics also.

TEC's may be cheap themselves, but everything else you need to run them starts to add up. They are the most inefficient way to cool a loop.
Still, I'm interested. Pics?

I disagree. Many people told me that Peltier requires a lot of power - but Peltier is not using any power - it just separates heat during charges diffusion in the material. It is heat transporter moving heat from one side to the other by electricity. Cooling is possible if you increase transport speed - by higher voltage/current. Thus heat amount to be moved by PT is limited but still enough to cool down the object to very low temperatures

I'm sure you're well aware of the power demands a Peltier requires. Sometimes it's not cost effective to create a Peltier cooling system as it will need a dedicated power source just for the pelts. I know, I had built several and back then the power supply to feed the pelts wasn't exactly cheap. Next you will need a hefty radiator(s) just to pull the heat away from the hot side of the peltier and depending on how many peltiers you will be using the heat generated from them will be quite substantial.

I'm with Scotty, I wanna see pics also.

Peltier doesn't require any power demands - it uses electric power/current to separate heat from that power or in other words transport heat to other side.
You are talking about heat exchanging like air and water that absorb heat but must be moved/transported themselves.
I will describe proper Peltier implementation later

I'll give you a hint of proper PT implementation with WC

UT8VUGzXihXXXagOFbX4.jpg
UT8d8CzXidaXXagOFbX7.jpg UT8be1zXilcXXagOFbX9.jpg

Last edited:
That's not for PC cooling. It just shows that Peltier can easily refrigerate cpu using water cooler

:sly:
No kidding.
Most of us have used TEC's for water cooling and/or direct contact cooling.
Cut to the chase, show us what you got.
I don't need a lesson on how a TEC works.

Still waiting for parts )
And btw how your TEC systems are built? Can you describe?

Thread isn't about my TEC experience. It's about yours.
I'll wait for more pics and info of your setup.

Yeah right) That's going to be my first PC build. I built some pt refrigeration/ac stuff and just noticed
on tec pc cooling sites that they put one poor tec unit between cpu and block.
I couldn't find some simple peltier wc for pc. Very surprised

Yeah right) That's going to be my first PC build. I built some pt refrigeration/ac stuff and just noticed
on tec pc cooling sites that they put one poor tec unit between cpu and block.
I couldn't find some simple peltier wc for pc. Very surprised

That is only one way that some people do it. There is a lot of systems the run multiple peltiers by running two water loops. One loop circulates the Coles fluid to the cpu and the other loop circulates the hot side fluid to the radiator.

As for the whole heat load being put on the peltier, this is done in an attempt to take the cpu to sub ambient temperatures. If the heat load is not completely put across the peltiers the system will never reach sub ambient temps. If the system is not meant to go sub ambient though then the use of peltier is not wise as it just adds more heat to the overall loop and it would just be more efficient to run more/larger rads.

I do not understand how you plan to implement a peltier without powering it. An unpowered peltier will act as an insulator between the "cold" and "hot" side and will not allow transfer of of heat across itself thus trapping the heat on the "cold" side. Can you please explain how you plan to get past this?

Lastly, I do not understand your "Hint" post. All you are showing me is a pair of peltier being used to cool a heatsink on the cold side while the "hot" side is dissipating heat through the water loop. As the end of the wires are not in the picture I am lead to believe they are hooked up to a power supply, so I do not see how this is any different from other systems that have been implemented in a cpu cooling rig before?

That is only one way that some people do it. There is a lot of systems the run multiple peltiers by running two water loops. One loop circulates the Coles fluid to the cpu and the other loop circulates the hot side fluid to the radiator.

As for the whole heat load being put on the peltier, this is done in an attempt to take the cpu to sub ambient temperatures. If the heat load is not completely put across the peltiers the system will never reach sub ambient temps. If the system is not meant to go sub ambient though then the use of peltier is not wise as it just adds more heat to the overall loop and it would just be more efficient to run more/larger rads.

I do not understand how you plan to implement a peltier without powering it. An unpowered peltier will act as an insulator between the "cold" and "hot" side and will not allow transfer of of heat across itself thus trapping the heat on the "cold" side. Can you please explain how you plan to get past this?

Lastly, I do not understand your "Hint" post. All you are showing me is a pair of peltier being used to cool a heatsink on the cold side while the "hot" side is dissipating heat through the water loop. As the end of the wires are not in the picture I am lead to believe they are hooked up to a power supply, so I do not see how this is any different from other systems that have been implemented in a cpu cooling rig before?

System will reach sub ambient temperatures. It is shown on those pictures aluminum is frozen.
You misunderstood me - PT uses power but not to 'power something' per se but to separate heat from that power/energy.
TEC should be used to help decreasing temperature and improve heat transfer delta. Existing loop already has quite good heat flux and tec adds to it.
Peltier just helps transporting heat - nothing else - however if it transports more than it's needed for ambient temp. - freezing occurs.

System will reach sub ambient temperatures. It is shown on those pictures aluminum is frozen.
You misunderstood me - PT uses power but not to 'power something' per se but to separate heat from that power/energy.
TEC should be used to help decreasing temperature and improve heat transfer delta. Existing loop already has quite good heat flux and tec adds to it.
Peltier just helps transporting heat - nothing else - however if it transports more than it's needed for ambient temp. - freezing occurs.

I guess I am just having trouble understanding the point you are trying to make as you seem to be contradicting yourself. Like the others, I guess I will just have to wait for pictures to see how your ideas differ from what has already been done.

Don't forget to insultate mobo if going sub ambient by more than 15c.

I am probably not going below 20C because of air steam condensation. I may try but I know it will be bad for mobo parts.
I bought tec insulators just in case - seen some advices that people actually keep the freeze area warm so water doesn't condense there.
Maybe super efficient system could use the cpu dissipation heat to dry up the condensation area. Hmmm...

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I am just having trouble understanding the point you are trying to make as you seem to be contradicting yourself. Like the others, I guess I will just have to wait for pictures to see how your ideas differ from what has already been done.

I'm not trying to make any point - just sharing my view of the system

I've been using peltier cooling for many years now improving each new version of it, I'm presently on version 3.0 which is the link below. Each version brought new ideas and designs to the table to make it a better cooling system, this is not a concept it is fully operational right now.

I am OCAddict at overclock.net, the peltier/chilled water system is used to cool my 7700K CPU overclocked to 5.2ghz (Not Delidded), my GPU is traditionally water cooled.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1633988/chilled-water-cooling-vs-3-0-build-log

Version 2.0 required it's own power supply and independently pulled 600w when all the TEC assemblies were powered up, which in total power draw was unacceptable.

Version 3.0 only requires 300w maximum when all 3 TEC assemblies are powered but for the most part and the majority of the time is only using 1 TEC assembly pulling 100w, BIG CHANGE!!!

That made it possible to run the entire setup off of 1 power supply. :)

Peltiers are great, as long as you can figure out how to get what you want from them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back