• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling system with Peltier thermoelectric support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The equipment and skills needed to pull a vacuum in a just built refrigeration system alone will keep the majority of people from taking on a project like that, I would think.

Compressed, liquid gas equipment is way less messy than water which is really bad for electric circuits.
Also we wouldn't have to struggle with any corrosion issues or coolant impurities like with water coolants.
Refilling loop would be easy as pumping a bike tire.

Compressed, liquid gas equipment is way less messy than water which is really bad for electric circuits.
Also we wouldn't have to struggle with any corrosion issues or coolant impurities like with water coolants.
Refilling loop would be easy as pumping a bike tire.

Lol. The cost and skill sets involved are out of reach for the average Joe.
You're dreaming if you think this would ever take over water setups.

Lol. The cost and skill sets involved are out of reach for the average Joe.
You're dreaming if you think this would ever take over water setups.

^This. I've been on installation crews for A/C companies, and worked for a one man operation for a while, and pulling a vacuum every time you change the drier, and refilling the system, plus disposing of the old refrigerant according to the multitude of environmental regulations, plus the investment in equipment, makes water cooling look like the bargain it is at a couple degrees over ambient. Water cooling, properly implemented, works for systems shedding 500+ watts. The noise and power requirements to go sub ambient aren't likely to outweigh the benefits for most people, with current tech. IMO.

Don't you worry - industry will make sure how to make things super easy for Joes once this gets popular.
Water is messy - gas just evaporates. They have to make AC systems with plastic and not copper connecting pipes if it is cheaper.
Or just make easy attachable copper connectors.

Water is messy - gas just evaporates. They have to make AC systems with plastic and not copper connecting pipes if it is cheaper.
Or just make easy attachable copper connectors.

The refrigeration systems I'm familiar with use a liquid. It evaporates to a gas in the evaporator (see what I did there?) and is compressed to a liquid state again by the compressor for another trip through the system. Then there's the oil for the compressor's moving parts.
With current refrigeration tech you could be looking at 90 psi for head pressure. I'm pretty sure I don't want an oil/liquid freon mix under 90 lbs. per square inch pressure, in plastic tubes, in the same metal box as my mobo and graphics card.

Maybe I'm missing something as far as current tech is concerned, but one FX 9590 can easily produce 300 watts. That's over 1000 BTUs per hour. There is a minimum amount of hardware required to dissipate that amount of heat. Add a graphics card and the VRM section of a board capable of feeding that chip and you're now looking at a dorm fridge.

I found the effective way of easy cooling using for now WC as end loop.
Connected water through the AC condenser by spraying/pouring the water on top of it and pumping it back from bottom.
System uses 5000 BTU cooling power and is able to cool water easily to freezing temperature and keep it stable around 10's C with 100-200W heat element.
Compressor takes a range of power from 150-500W but turns off very quick after water is cooled.

I will post pictures later

Dorm fridge won't handle it either.

Nope, it won't. I was just using that as a size reference (box dimensions) for the dedicated refrigeration unit needed. Admittedly I picked the worst CPU example, but anyone considering sub ambient could easily have 500 watts total to dissipate from their rig. That's at 1700 BTUs per hour. Just shy of 30 BTUs per minute. Not saying it can't be done with a sub ambient set up, but it won't be cheap, convenient, or simple.

- - - Updated - - -

I found the effective way of easy cooling using for now WC as end loop.
Connected water through the AC condenser by spraying/pouring the water on top of it and pumping it back from bottom.
System uses 5000 BTU cooling power and is able to cool water easily to freezing temperature and keep it stable around 10's C with 100-200W heat element.
Compressor takes a range of power from 150-500W but turns off very quick after water is cooled.

I will post pictures later

I would add alcohol to the water loop to keep it from freezing.

At 10c I doubt he will have a major issue with freezing but he will see condensation issues though. If freezing is an issue remember a water/ methanol mix should not exceed a 50/50 mix and check your o-rings for comparability. If running a water/glycol mix you better make sure your pump will be able to handle the increased viscosity of the mixture at sub-zero temperatures. This becomes extremely important to maintain a large flow rate over the radiator so as to avoid localized freezing effects.

What I continue to struggle with is why we are trying to "Re-invent" what has already been done. There is plenty of people that have run a phase change unit too cool a laid loop before but the complications of this system make it infeasible for most. Also if you are going to go this route you would do better with a more traditional heat exchange cooling plate versus a radiator floating in a bucket of water.

If you want to go sub-zero why not just run a full phase change unit mounted to the cpu?

I can understand the need that water modularity would offer a system running multiple gpu/cpu in a benching rig but if you want to do sub-zero you really need to get your setup designed right and have the right chemical mixture in the water loop to avoid freezing.

If you are only trying to go sub ambient I go back to my normal stance that the benefits you gain by going from 22c water to 10c water are negligible when compared against the hassle of condensation and a phase change setup.

If we are talking purely something for benching/testing or just for giggles I am all good. Heck I have used everything from LN2 poured into a water/methanol loop all the way down to a radiator floating in a water bath cooled by frozen produce inn an effort to achieve above normal clock speeds. In doing all of this I can't argue that they were effective, but i have never once suffered from the delusion that these methods would be good for the masses much less more efficient than traditional, properly designed and executed cooling methods.

At 10c I doubt he will have a major issue with freezing but he will see condensation issues though. If freezing is an issue remember a water/ methanol mix should not exceed a 50/50 mix and check your o-rings for comparability. If running a water/glycol mix you better make sure your pump will be able to handle the increased viscosity of the mixture at sub-zero temperatures. This becomes extremely important to maintain a large flow rate over the radiator so as to avoid localized freezing effects.

What I continue to struggle with is why we are trying to "Re-invent" what has already been done. There is plenty of people that have run a phase change unit too cool a laid loop before but the complications of this system make it infeasible for most. Also if you are going to go this route you would do better with a more traditional heat exchange cooling plate versus a radiator floating in a bucket of water.

If you want to go sub-zero why not just run a full phase change unit mounted to the cpu?

I can understand the need that water modularity would offer a system running multiple gpu/cpu in a benching rig but if you want to do sub-zero you really need to get your setup designed right and have the right chemical mixture in the water loop to avoid freezing.

If you are only trying to go sub ambient I go back to my normal stance that the benefits you gain by going from 22c water to 10c water are negligible when compared against the hassle of condensation and a phase change setup.

If we are talking purely something for benching/testing or just for giggles I am all good. Heck I have used everything from LN2 poured into a water/methanol loop all the way down to a radiator floating in a water bath cooled by frozen produce inn an effort to achieve above normal clock speeds. In doing all of this I can't argue that they were effective, but i have never once suffered from the delusion that these methods would be good for the masses much less more efficient than traditional, properly designed and executed cooling methods.

I'm not sure what motivates you to negate the ac cooling. It is a simple freezer with fin radiators freezing air or water - doesn't matter.
What matters is amount of heat to be separated from the medium like water/gas/air.
Whole system is under $200 - maybe around 160 - good AIOs are more expensive.

I think you are seriously underestimating the cost of this type of system unless you have access to free/used parts. Heck a simple system using r134a will run you at least $50 for the refrigerant alone. If you are just scavenging parts of of something like an old chest freezer you can probably get by pretty cheap but that system will not maintain temperatures effectively for a long period of time. Thistype if stem would also not be efficient or something a normal user would want in their house.

Please note that I never said circulating water over the condenser would not work I was just stating that a better system that is less intrusive would be a cold plate style heat exchanger.

As I said above this type of experimentation has its place. That place is not trying to replace water Cooling with current technologies though.

Build it and show us. Off the shelf evap system cheaper and more reliable than aio I would be tits. Id seriously be interested to see a working sample. I'm a design engineer. I design industrial hvac systems, heat exchangers, chiller plants... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the economy of scale issue. I can't understand how a small personal use system like this would ever be more reliable, cheaper to run, quieter and cheaper/easier to maintain than an aio or open loop water. Got to agree with lochekey... Given current methods and tech, I don't think this is going to challenge pc water cooling in any significant way from a retail market share standpoint. Are we being punkt here... Where's Ashton?

Here is a layout and the built:

Original set:
Preset-1.jpg

Improved flow on top:
Preset-2.jpg

Layout in basic description:
Layout-ac.jpg

Thermostat on picture measures the temp. below the condenser almost touching it so it shows sometimes negative temps
and it measures kinda input water temp. I also measure output water temp which ranges between 1-4C without load and under heat from 130W peltier it goes up to 10's C
I will connect it to CPU as soon as I assemble the box nicer way

Last edited:
Sweet ice effect - when I set t-stat below -4 eg -5,-6 this is what happened ;)

Iced water.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back