• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling virgin need's help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
I have never used water or never really wanted to but just so I can get a figure on how much it would cost me to set up a water cooling system I would like all you guys to give me a hand and tell me what you think is the cheapiest and best for WC possible I do have a budget and it will be about 200 bux hopefully less.

What I was thinking.

maze 3 water block
resivor some sort bucket
maybe a radiator with fan
good pump

anvil82

You don't need a reservoir, just use a T connector.

Dont forget tubing, clamps, water wetter (or something to stop corrosion).

Don't use cheap crap like some old bucket you have, otherwise it will not last very long. Use high quality componenets and you will have a worry free long lasting setup.

$200 is plenty.

altec

polka dot ninja
Pump - $50
Maze 3 - $50
Resovior - $25
Radiator & Shroud - $55
Tubing - $.60 a foot at home depot
Clamps etc... - $10

Yuriman

Mine was bout 100$ to start, copper tidalpool wb, cube rad, homade res, and via aqua1300, and that included shipping. On a tb1800+ its in the low 30's, on my evil pally its in the high 50's, with air cooling that pally would blacken the bottom of the heatsink after i chipped it.

Wonderboy

Make sure everything is done right the first time and this will save you a bundle. I spent quite a few extra dollars going back and forth buying the worng parts or finding that one component(sp) works better than the one i buy. Go into the project with as much knowledge you can possibly have.

Money saving tip #1!!! Knowledge

specific

don't skimp on the pump
NeoMoses, logiccooling , makes good blocks. Get a Dtek radiator with a shroud kit and a panaflo 120mm fan or two. Use some good hose clamps, metal ones from Home Depot or Lowe's, and you can sleep good at night with no worries. Mix this in with the rest of the advice you've gotten and you'll be ok.

OP
jonspd

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
So what kinda fitting are best 1/2 inch brass, copper, plastic, etc. Also cant I just use an heatcore or something I have a 120mm fan here so I really dont need a fan for it and can pick up a heater core @ the local part's store. For a pump what is a good gph and good pump all together quiet etc. Link I said I'am very new to water and need to knwo the basics which way to flow the water resisvor, radiator, block, pump, resivor etc.

anvil82

I think 1/2" brass fittings are the best, maybe copper, I'm not sure I have seen copper fittings. I assume you mean on the water block.

For a pump, the danner (supreme) mag 3 is a good choice.

Yes you can use a heatercore, you will have to put on your own barbs though, as well as add a shroud.

As for the tubing I would recommend the clearflex, and plastic hose clamps, since they are less susceptible, to over tightening, and leaking.