• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling without any hoses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBFoxbat

Registered
I was wondering if anyone had seen or heard of anything about this. Is it possible to use piping instead of tubing? I mean, I understand the perminitness of it. But the pipes could end right before the waterblock or the resovior... I was thinking that 2 close together pipes might look pretty neet inside a case, instead of hoses that seem kinda random.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
EBFoxbat said:
I was wondering if anyone had seen or heard of anything about this. Is it possible to use piping instead of tubing? I mean, I understand the perminitness of it. But the pipes could end right before the waterblock or the resovior... I was thinking that 2 close together pipes might look pretty neet inside a case, instead of hoses that seem kinda random.
Sure people have plummed with copper pipe instead of tubing, I have seen it many times. My first thought is Why? Like you said, it is so permanent and makes swapping anything out of the case a chore.

Nico3k

hmm... interesting idea...
i think it would be much more difficult though. You would probably have to use some 90 degree fittings wich means limiting flow.

OP
E

EBFoxbat

Registered
Good point with the limating flow, but with piping you could make it a high presure system... i dont know if you'd want to. I'm trying to work out a plan for my next water cooling box

OP
E

EBFoxbat

Registered
But if it's copper piping, then it could be a pressurized system. And If it's pressurized you can adjust the flow and have sub-freezing water temps. And then you get the joy of condensation to deal with.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
were do the sub zero temps come from? not pressure, you gotta figure that out some other way, yes it can be done, is there a point to do that vs something else? prob not

OP
E

EBFoxbat

Registered
no point at all, I was just thinking that copper pipes in a case might look neet.

nealric

Use sodium heat pipes- you would have to manufacture a block for them but they would allow you to take all the heat outside of the case without any tubing inside.

ziah

you can mod your case so that the MB tray comes out the right side of the case so the tubes remain rigid in place and the board comes out easily after unmounting the block. but again, not many boards mount the cpu in the same location so upgrading will suck.

~z

mfpmax

Its also a PITA soldering all those copper pipes and fittings together...

not to mention the clean up job you have to do afterwords.

Did I mention you have to protect everything in the case while you solder?

Turando

Did I mention you have to protect everything in the case while you solder?

yeh, because any sane person would leave all the components in there right?........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if you have the right equipment, you wont need any right angle bends, as with proper pipe benders you can go to 180, without stressing the piping, but you have to have the right stuff.

Cheers, Turando.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
ya know, it would be a fun project if you have all the stuff, it would be perfectly leak free, if your up for it, i dont see why not go for it

OP
E

EBFoxbat

Registered
I can see it now.

I see it now. Some fool with his blow torch soldering copper pipes. He sneezes and the flame scores his mother board, instantly melting all the elctrical solder and ruining everything.

I'd prolly bend the pipes. I'd cut a hole in the back of my case, and run them out and up, like 2 smoke stacks... I'd have them end shortly before the CPU. For the last 4 inches or so, I'd use regular hoses. that way I could take stuff out. I'd try to use once long peice and just bend it. Then I could pollish it, pr lap it, hehe, to a nice shine. Maybe I'll use all copper piping. Run my power and ide cables through it.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
well you dont do it in your case! you would set up everything, fit everything then take it out and do the soldering, you would need to do a totally custom job on this too