• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water levels.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok I now have my nice and stable water system running. I have a few questions that consern me though. The first one being how much does air expand with only a few degrees increase in temp C? I'm wondering how much air is actually in my system. At the very top I have a bleed valve. The system appears not to have any bubbles in it. Howerver when I do something like play quake that uses %100 of my Processor, after a while the tube is full of water up to the top. My temperature in the entire water system raises about 7 degrees when maxed out over a period of time. So i'm wondering if there could be air in the radiator and if so could that small change in temp be enough to make it expand enough to puch water up the tube to the point where it almost comes out the top?
Duck

cypher

It may not be air it could be just the water expanding. In a solid system (ie closed loop) one degree change in tempreture will yeild about 100 psi change in pressure. Since yours is not a true solid system the displaced water will go up the tee line. I would not worry too much it you are not having temp problems. You could always try moving your system around to try to vent any air in the rad though.

kaltag

it's the same idea as why you don't open your car's radiator after running for a while. the watter doesn't actually expand but the pressure builds and if you release the cap it all boils out. in your case the pressure is just released up the tube. nothing to worry about. if you want to see it in action unplug the fan on your rad and watch as the water rises and remember to plug it back in when you're done :)