• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water vs Air for my new i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WildMonkey

I have an old Koolance PC2-C system that I have been up keeping for years.

I'm upgrading to a new i7 system and not really big into overclocking anymore, I mean I will but don't really care to find out it's limits or running it a borderline frying temperatures so I can get that extra 2 points in Futuremark benchmarks.

So my question is whether it would be best to just buy a 1366 cpu block for my old system or just dump it and get something like a TRUE.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I cant imagine a system from 2002 would be ableto keep an i7 with HT on cool. I would ditch it (the entire case), get another, and a TRUE or Prolimatech Meglahems (or however its spelled).

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
I'd dump it and get a Megahalems or TRUE as suggested. Water cooling and air cooling have come a long way since 2002. Modern air coolers will trounce anything that system can do. Hey, on the plus side, you don't need to worry about leaks. :)

Neuromancer

I got a nice deal on a WC loop for my i7. and must say. WAY WAY better than air cooling 20+C load difference and much quieter (until I crank it up to get that 1% better performance) . i7 is a blast furnace when OCed.

Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX 480, 655 pump Swifttech res

I had to buy some masterkleer tubing at .49 cents a foot, some new clamps, and some fans. (I went big and got UltraKaze 3Ks) in retrospect, I would have gotten something slower that runs better undervolted. But the price was very good, and the perofrmancei phenomonal. Chill air setup before with a super loud panaflo fan I was hitting 80+C. Now if I really push it I can hit 60C. (65C with fans on low speed)

Once I clean the block and rad next week, I expect temps to get even better :)

Daddyjaxx

I have about the same setup as Neuromancer, except I have two MR320's and am cooling my 275 GTX. This is what a good watercooling system can do with an overclocked I7 and GPU playing Crysis for an hour. Once you go water...it's really hard to go back.

crysiswo.jpg

Conumdrum

A nice newer i7 at stock speeds is just fine with a decent air HS. One that allows adding your own fans. Two quiet 120's in push pull with a good air HS in a good air ventilated case is more than enough.

You start adding massive GPU's to the case with the GPU fan noise? Ack...... One reason lots go water.