• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

waterblock cleaning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splateee

Hi everyone, i was just wondering if it is neccessary to clean out the inside of the waterblock, and if so how often would be recommended?

Do you have to take it apart or can you just flush it out?

Thanks for answers and info :)

RoadWarrior

I guess it might depend what water and additives you are using, if you are using straight tap water you might expect it to get limescaled quite quickly, you could flush with vinegar or CLR or coffee machine cleaner to clear that.

If you are using distilled water but have open reservoirs then you might get biological contaminants sliming the thing. If you have a sealed system with distilled water and antifreeze or something, you probably don't need to clean it.

Road Warrior

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
A lot probably depends upon what mix you are using for your coolant and whether it is open to the outside world like a Bong. I haven't had one long enough to need cleaning. I guess, if you can't see inside it, you could poke a qtip down in one of the barbs and swab it around, then remove it and see what residue is on it. There are all kinds of solvents and cleaners for copper and aluminum. I'd bet one of them would work by just running it through the block.

Hoot

OP
splateee

splateee

Hey thaks guys for the quick responses :)

I have a swiftech system which is a sealed setup that has been setup now for 2 weeks. Just trying to get as much info on what to be looking forward to in the up and coming months.

And by the way, good job on your waterblock comparo Hoot, found it very informative.