• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock for my GTX 1080/ Frame Rate Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Llyndis

Registered
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a waterblock for my Asus Rog GTX 1080. I have the STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAM. I have checked with xspc and they do not have anything. Also I have been playing WOW and I seem to only be getting around 40 fps on ultra settings. Has anyone had any experience with this? I feel that this card should be pushing a lot more than that. I have it set on the OC mode in the controls. It is teamed up with an i7 6700k and 32g of gskill trident DDR4. Thank you for the help.

There was a thread a while back with a discussion on WOW and the GTX 1070 performance. I booted it up to check mine (GTX 1070 w/ i7-6700k), if memory serves I was getting upper 40's in highly populated areas, upper 90's in standard instances, and 200+ in anything open world with the new max settings.
Are you seeing 40fps in large raids or in low populated areas? Low 40's in a 25-man raid with Ultra settings sounds pretty accurate with the new settings. If you're seeing that anywhere else, something might be wrong in your settings.

One that fits :). No really, you don't have a 'reference' card so there are not many choices (try EKWB). The difference between them performance wise isn't much either. Id get what you think looks the best and can afford.

Thank you for the replies. I can afford any of the water blocks so that isn't the issue. What kind of card is mine if it is not a reference card? Also in WOW Jeff I was seeing 40 fps everywhere pretty much. All I did to the settings was slit the bar to 10 and didn't change anything else. I am seeing mid 30's in Dalaran and Stormwind with some stutter. I am thinking that the gpu might be bad but I am not 100% sure.

- - - Updated - - -

If I have to replace my gpu which one should I go with? I mainly play WOW but will be going deep into BF1 and eventually SLI.

I can pick up an EVGA Superclocked card from the local Fry's store by my house. They also have the STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GA in stock as well.

Sorry.. afford should have been cheapest. :)

Try a different driver for you WOW issue.

Either card is solid. Why SLI aren't you gaming at 1080p/2560x1440? There isn't a need there unless you have a 12p/144hz monitor you want to use??

Please make a signature (like jeff's) with your hardware so we know what you have. :)

Sorry about that! I am at work right now and will make a signature when I get home. I have a 2560x1440 144mhz monitor from Asus.

- - - Updated - - -

I will buy whatever 1080 graphics card that I need so that I can get it into the loop and have amazing performance out of it.

The 1080 should have no problem with WOW. I haven't played Legion, but I did download the pre-patch right before it launched that had all the updated graphics. Even doing all the pre-launch Legion campaigns, I saw pretty solid 100+ fps unless I was in a heavily populated instance which often dipped down to low 50's/upper 40's. No stutter at all. I'm running 1440p @ 120hz with the slider all the way up too.
I would check to make sure you don't have something else going on before swapping cards. Can you run a monitoring program in the background to see if you're hitting 100% usage on the card? I would suspect either a driver issue or latency issue would be the case long before a card issue. Are you also using the Asus software?

Yes I am using the asus software on oc mode. My internet is 150 gig download speed from Comcast.

WoW is still much more CPU bound then GPU. Pre-Legion my 980Ti would only boost during raids, the rest of the time it would be idle at stock speeds at 1080p ultra settings, and now it will boost more often but still doesn't go above 65c with 50% fans. You want more FPS ? overclock the CPU and lower the settings from 10 to 8 as it doesn't really make much difference visually (view distance and extra shadows) but makes a huge impact on performance.

Thank you for the reply Kenrou. My cpu is at 4 ghz right now. I will change it to 8 when I get home and see what that does for me.

Yes I am using the asus software on oc mode.

I would verify that the asus software and windows are both 100% up to date. I've had random issues that were both due to not being on a current update that I didn't even know was available. My Gigabyte software said it was up to date, but on Gigabyte's site there was a newer version. That fixed an audio issue I had. Also had a Windows update that hadn't notified me until I told it to look for updates that solved some graphical issues.

My internet is 150 gig download speed from Comcast.

Do you have any other computers or devices on your network that might cause a slow down? I know my router has a poor QoS and if my HTPC is downloading even at 4mb/s I get huge latency on my gaming rig (that's with 50meg service). Solved by simply not downloading during gaming (until I can force myself to spend some money on a nice router)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the reply Kenrou. My cpu is at 4 ghz right now. I will change it to 8 when I get home and see what that does for me.

What CPU do you have?

My bad, already forgot that!

I'm running the same CPU, at 4.7ghz.
So again, 6700k @ 4.7 with GTX 1070 running max settings and WoW was never in the 30's. 40's was pretty much as low as I saw with most heavily populated areas and it went up from there pretty fast. Even 5-man runs were around 90-100fps. Big cities and large raids will bog it down, but you shouldn't see 30's walking around Dalaran.
It'll be later tonight, but I'll boot it up again to see what it runs just as a comparison. I'll get specific fps recording in specific cities so you can see where you're at against a setup that should be a little lower than yours.

Alright. Thank you for that. There is nothing else tied to my internet at home besides my gaming computer.

As Jeff G said, WoW will only bog down in very specific areas like crowded cities of for example the portal entrance to HFC or if you have a lot of players in the same space like raids. That will happen regardless of graphic settings because of a phasing issue, but at 10 there are certain new areas like Val'Sharah (in the dark forest + dungeon/raid entrance) that you will see it dropping into the 50s often because of the extreme effects/shadows. I ran mine at 4.8ghz with my 980Ti at stock and overclocked and got the same results, which vanished completely when i turned it down to 8 :thup:

Also, while your checking that everything is updated, check the Nvidia software as well. Might won't alert me any further than a yellow exclamation on the icon. The Nvidia software has a built in optimizer for games, check to see what it recommends for settings. Mine always recommend Ultra, so I'd be surprised if yours was less.

I will try pushing my i7 further to see where it nets me. I updated my NVidia drivers yesterday and was still running into the same issues that's why I decided to come to the forums. I will check my windows updates as well.

Last edited:
Still looking for a waterblock. How do I get away from this reference design so that I can purchase some nice blocks? Any recommendations on a card? Thanks

Back