• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooled using a Socket Hold down beware!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

Today, I killed my system. Yea I cried a river. You know what caused this? Watercooled using the 2 lug socket hold down. First, the mounting is very poor, the hold down has to be exact in the middle or else it'll chip the core (It chipped mine 3 times to be exact). And it broke the lug which I think killed the core for good. Right now I'm sitting here all down :( Anyways, yes it truley sucks. I'm currently hoping my RMA to Asus approves. I wouldn't advised anyone that has the current option to use the 4 holes in the AMD board to use the Socket lugs. I think watercooling is going to have a major turn around once AMD goes with the lugs again, I can imagine the mounting is going to be like Koolance.

Becareful, and wish me luck.
Yodums

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Oh man, that sucks. :( I hope Asus approves your RMA. I just finished packing up my monitor to ship back to View Sonic for repairs, and I’m waiting to see if new egg will accept my RMA for my psu. I might need to return my mobo too. :( Well, good luck!! I hope you get it running again soon. :)

OP
Yodums

Yodums

Thanks for the cheer guys. I do hope my RMA goes through or I'm dead! :( On the other side this is what being greedy for a big loss, and perhaps a small gain. Becareful.

Yodums

mustangman

I never did like the socket lugs and am very bummed out by the loss of them. Maybe with alot of luck Abit and the others will continue to use them. Though I have a feeling that won't happen.

surfinguru

Bummer man! I just set up my Innovatek kit and was considering removing the IHS from my Celey to get that extra few c's. I'm glad I didn't because that mounting clamp was quite the pain to seat properly on the lugs. I really think I would've chiped and/or crushed the core had I removed the IHS.
Big loss for little gain as you said......

res0r9lm

you should have known better than to use just 2 lugs. don't worry it's not an exclusive club I'm not just a member I'm the president;). there is really only two choices use all six or none at all.

res0r9lm

which block were you using. swiftech mcw 372 and dangerden maze 1c is the only blocks that I know that use 6 lugs. good luck with the asus

racecar12

Sorry about your loss Yodums. I was liking the game of tag we were doing with seti. A few options for ya. Dtek customs and overclockershideout has a 3 cleat attaching mechanizm for waterblocks. You can also take a piece of 1/4" plexi to cover teh w/b and use the four holes to secure your existing w/b.

G/L Friend
r12

seeker

So sorry for your recent loss.....
Sorry for ya man,had to turn on cookies and log in for this....got an old biostar MB with no audio and a 600 duron you can borrow.....does 2.5 seti's a day:)
condolances bro

OP
Yodums

Yodums

Seeker: Thanks for the offer, but I must reject. I'm taking this into my own hands.

res:

This was a custom aluminum block. Yes I know but I only had one choice of a two socket lug. Why didn't I listen and not go ahead with mounting when I got two sayings that it may just take out the lugs (Guys listen to your recommendations).

Racecar:

You'll be zooming across me in SETI since I'm going a week without a rig.

I'm also giving up water, I don't want this problem again, air is 100% efficent to me, and I won't go back to water unless I get a job to cover my errors.

Surfing guru:

Now I don't recommend anyone go with heatsinks putting on major pressure without a shim or something.

Yodums

racecar12

I have had the same issue with my KT7A-r. Broke a cleat a long time ago. It now has a dragon orb 3 (uses all six cleats) moded with an 80mm fan. Works pretty good and quiet:cool:

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Sorry to hear abou this Yodums. Hope all goes well on the Rma. I have never attempted a Lug mount on any of the four mobo's I have had water cooled. There of course is some risk by fact of using water.

OP
Yodums

Yodums

Water is fine, just that the problem was the mounting. Thanks for the kind words to cheer me up Silver :) I hope it all goes well.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
Man I really feal bad for you Yodums. I hope you can go back to a 4 hole waterblock sometime soon. Don't get to upset I'm sure you will get things back up and running soon. What rig are you on now? I hope you can still surf the forums a bit.

Last edited:
OP
Yodums

Yodums

I wonder if we'd sign a petition for big mobo manufactures to add the four holes if they'd actually do it.