• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooled using a Socket Hold down beware!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The "hot" oc'ing board manufacturers will not just forget about a growing fad. If it is desired and there is a market for it then the boards will have the mounts so I am not too worried. It may have taken awhile but we did get the higher v to the vcore and that is not a 'normal' user requirement. I really don't think 3.2v on ddr is a 'normal' requirement. Not to worry, we buy, they sell.

My condolences on your recent bereavement. :(

It's a bit late for you now I guess, I'll post it for everyone else though, I've found a trick over the years that saves lugs when using those stupid spring clips. (wasn't sure whether yours was the clip type or screw tightened one) Instead of a "screwdriver" I use needle nose pliers, not regular ones, but extra long nose needle nose pliers. They usually clear the sink well and allow far more control in manipulating the clip. You can get a firm hold on the screwdriver slot bit of it, and instead of grating it along the lug to pop it off, hoping it doesn't slip and you stab your board, you can push down with confidence and twist against the clip to ease the hole over the lug without grating it away.
Regular needle nose pliers usually have you going in at too much of an angle to get a positive grip, get some extra long nose ones, with fine tips, they're very handy, I have a miniature sized pair with a spring on that are also very handy for reaching into the case between everything and switching a jumper or two. I also have a "full size" pair that work okay on the clips but they're not so dainty for the jumpers.

regards,

Road Warrior

What cheeses me off is my abit st6 has two lugs on each side. I don't get that at all. I was looking at it trying to figure out what kind of hold down I would need for my new DD block and noticed there's two lugs on each side. on the right is one on top and one in the center and on the left side is one in the center and one at the bottom. So i had no choice but to use only two tabs in the center. I hope they do something to make those tabs stronger...like someone else mentioned..metal would be nice. or at least come up with some industry standard and a solid hold down to go along with it. Mmm we'll see what happens. things could get interesting.

made this tool when I first made my computer. It's a small screwdriver (the first one I bought by the way), about 4.5'' long.
I bended it so it sticks real well in the slot of clip and pushing it down you "unlock" the clip and flexing your wrist you open or close it . Up to now it has functioned okay (though I kind of sweat each time I have to put on the clip)

Can someone post what broke? I kinda have an idea. But I'm more of a visual aid person.

Back